Saturday, June 16, 2012

Date Night

Last night was date night. Date nights are a rare occurrence with us. It seems like every time we plan one, something comes up and we have to cancel. So this is the first time I've had my husband to myself in a couple months.

It was a big change from our last date night. The last time didn't go very well. I made all the decisions about what we were going to do and how we were going to do it. When things didn't go the way I wanted, I got moody and more than a bit snippy with Steve, at which point we ended up having an argument.

This date night was amazingly different. With Steve in the lead, we had a nice evening. Even though he chose the restaurant, ordered for me and literally led me around by my hand, I didn't feel controlled. I felt cherished.

And even though he took two calls during our dinner (a major peeve of mine), I held my tongue. Normally, I would have got mad about it and we would have argued. Instead, my husband apologized for the interruption, thanked me for being patient and we continued our evening.

Later that night, after we had picked up our daughter, spent some times with her and then got her to bed, we laid in our bed talking. That's when Steve said something ominous. You guessed it. He said "over my knee." He didn't have to say why. I already knew I had went over the limit he set on smoking, although only by one.

I could make excuses and say that the limit was a lot less than I had been smoking or that I had had one of those days which always leads to me smoking more, but to be honest, I was disappointed in myself. So even though I was a bit scared of what was to come, I did as he told me to.

Ultimately, he pretty much let me off the hook other than a few stinging but not overly painful swats with his hand. He told me he could see that I was trying to do better, not just on the smoking, but also taking care of the house and being more respectful, and that he was proud of me. Then he took me in his arms and drove all thought from my head other than the pleasure of his touch.

Afterwards, just before I drifted off to sleep, a thought occurred to me and I voiced it to him. When we got married, I insisted on my wedding vow being "to love, honor and cherish." Maybe we would have been better off if I had promised "to love, honor and obey" instead. Steve smiled, gave me a kiss and agreed.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.