Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lessons from an Overdraft

Yesterday I had to go to the bank to make a deposit. And by had to, I mean I had overdrafted the account and needed to fix it ASAP. I had miscalculated the amount of money left in the account and came up $20 short. The sad part about it was that I had the money to make the deposit when I did it. I just had procrastinated about going to the bank. So for the first time in 4 years, I had an overdraft.

I went to the bank to make the deposit. While I was there, I happened to notice the Christian bookstore next door was papered with "going out of business" and "everything 50% off" signs. I've known the store was there for a while and had been planning to go in to see what they had, but had never quite got around to it. But since I'm never one to pass up a sale, especially a sale that feeds my love of books, I went in.

My plan was to get a new women's devotional Bible. I've had the same Bible since my teens, a teen devotional my parents bought me. Even though it's geared more towards teens than an adult, it was an old friend. Pages which held scriptures significant to me were marked so I could find them easily. There were notes interspersed within the pages from sermons that really spoke to me. I loved the comprehensive subject index in the back that helped me find verses on any topic I could think of.

But since I'm pushing thirty, I figured it was time to upgrade to a woman's devotional. I checked the section for devotional Bibles, but didn't see anything I liked so I started wandering around the store to see what else I might find. The marriage and relationships section caught my eye so I went there to browse.

Two books practically jumped off the shelf into my hands. The first is You Can Be the Wife of a Happy Husband by Darien Cooper. The second is Liberated Through Submission: God's Design for Freedom in All Relationships by P.B. Wilson. I flipped through them to get an idea of what they were about, put them back on the shelf and walked off to look at some other things. But they kept calling me back so I finally ended up buying them and bringing them home.

Both of the books are about submission, both to God and to your husband. I started the first one yesterday. While I don't agree with everything it suggests (and I'm pretty sure Steve feels the same), it has offered some good information. The book is a combination of the author's words, stories from couples she has worked with and scriptures that go along with her words and the stories.

I haven't started the second book yet, although I'll probably get to it before the end of the week at the rate I'm going. Judging from the table of contents, it's not just for married women. It also has sections for singles and married men. I may end up asking Steve to read the sections for married men after I finish it.

When Steve came in from work, I showed him my purchases. Even though I paid more than I usually do for books (my book addiction is usually fed by thrift store and yard sale purchases or gifts from family and friends), he approved of my choices. I think he even liked the idea that even though I had a day free to do whatever I wanted, I chose to spend the time purchasing and reading books to improve myself and our relationship.

He told me that I could go back and buy a few more once he gets paid again. I've been browsing Amazon for ideas of what to get on my next trip and if anyone is reading this, feel free to offer suggestions.

And if you're wondering how the overdraft situation turned out, I got off easier than I expected. When we went to bed last night, I told Steve that I had overdrafted the account because I hadn't made the deposit right away and even confessed to going over on my smoking because I was nervous about it. Then I apologized and waited for his decision.

At first, he was unhappy that I had put off telling him instead of letting him know right away. In my defense, I wanted to wait until our daughter was in bed so we had privacy to deal with the situation

I got a lecture. Then he asked how much the overdraft fee was. Thankfully, I was able to tell him there wasn't one. I don't know if the bank forgave it because it was the first one since we've been banking with them and it was a small amount or because we have overdraft protection, but for some reason, they didn't charge a fee for it.

The lack of an overdraft fee saved my bottom. Literally. He let the smoking slide because he had smoked more than usual himself yesterday and he knows I smoke more when I'm nervous. But Steve made it clear that if an overdraft fee is charged or he finds out I put off making the deposit again, I will not be sitting comfortably for a while.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.