Monday, July 16, 2012

I Want vs I Need

I came across a blog post a while back. Unfortunately, I was in the process of following links from one blog to another so I can't find it again to link here, but it was talking about needs and wants. It really got me thinking about the difference between what I want and what I actually need from Steve.

I want to do things on my own, even if it means I sometimes make mistakes.
...I need you to redirect me when my words or actions put our happiness at risk.

I want to not feel like I have more than I can handle. I get overwhelmed when I have too much on my plate and I don't like feeling that way.
...I need you to provide structure so I can get the things that need to be done finished.

I want to move on to do better. I don't want to keep feeling guilty over what I've said or done, and then get caught up in a cycle of guilt that leads to me doing worse.
...I need you to issue consequences so I can learn from my mistakes and let go of the guilt.

I want to be a strong, independent woman.
...I need to know I can draw strength from you if I need it and still have the freedom to be independent to my true self.

I want to be the woman you need in your life.
...I need you to help me be a woman we can both be proud of.

I want to get away with things occasionally.
...I need you to be consistent.

I want to protect you from harm, even if it means keeping some of my fears to myself.
...I need you to push me to be more open, to not back down if I say I don't want to.

I want to push the boundaries sometimes.
...I need you to let me feel your strength when I do.

1 comment:

  1. A very good list there. now the next step is to remember it and apply. I often find that one of the hardest ones for me is being the woman u need in your life. I take this so much to heart because of my husbands condition that i forget that he's also there to help me. And it usually ends up with my ass spanked because im to stressed and haven't asked him for help.
    I hope things go well xx

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.