Friday, August 24, 2012

Who Is This Man?

We're back from Walmart hon.

Okay. Did you have fun?

Oh sure, don't you know that going to Walmart is the highlight of my day?  (said sarcastically)

You know it is.

Especially when I get flirted with when waiting to check out.

What?! (sound of head connecting with underside of truck followed by a few words I'll not share here)

Well I did.

(Sound of one greasy, disgruntled man sliding out of under truck) Who was he and what did he say to you?

Just some guy, don't know who he was. It wasn't so much what he said as they way he was acting, moving in close to practically whisper in my ear.

Hmm. (I didn't think his eyes could narrow that much)

And I thought he was going to follow me out to the car.

Well did you tell him you were married?

I made sure he got a glimpse of my wedding band and mentioned my husband in our conversation.

What did he do then?

Didn't seem to faze him.


Well he's lucky I wasn't there. I would have kicked his ass for hitting on you.

Well if you were there, he probably wouldn't have done it.

Various muttering as he crawls back under the truck.




Since we brought DD into our relationship, I've been watching with fascination the changes in Steve. He's become more confident, not just as a leader, but as in himself. It's carried over from our relationship to other areas like his work and friendships.

He's become more attentive. I used to think he didn't notice how I got quiet when something was bothering me. Now he not only notices, but also asks if there's anything he can do to help. He's become more loving and affectionate. After the honeymoon stage, we touched infrequently. We still made love occasionally, but the little just because hugs and kisses, pats on the butt and holding hands went away for the most part. Now all those little things are back.

But one change I didn't see coming was him being jealous. He's never been the jealous type. I'm still friends with guys I knew before we met, a couple of which I was more than friends with, and he's never had a problem with it. A while back, one called to mention he was in town and wanted to take me out. Steve was fine with that.

I've been flirted with here and there since we've been married. A couple times it even happened right in front of him. It never fazed him. He's always just laughed it off or said it just showed he had good taste.

After our conversation, one thought kept occurring to me. Who is this man? But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I liked it. I don't see myself as the type of woman guys would want to flirt with, especially when I'm carrying some extra pounds, dressed casually in a pair of baggy shorts and a tank top, with my hair a mess and wearing no makeup at all. So it was a bit of a ego boost to get flirted with.

What really made my day, though, was my husband being jealous about it. I never wanted to be with a guy that was jealous to the point I couldn't talk to a guy. My sister is married to a guy like that and he makes her miserable. She even had to quit a job she loved because her husband didn't like her working with guys.

But in the past when Steve didn't seem to care, it bothered me a little. Even though I knew he loved me, I sometimes felt like he didn't care enough to be bothered when another guy tried to hit on me. So when he got jealous yesterday, I have to confess I was thrilled. Because I'm his and he's mine, and that's the way we like it.

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that too...he's very perceptive of my moods! I think it's rather nice;)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.