Friday, September 28, 2012

Pain Threshold and the Female Cycle

I got spanked last night. It started out as role affirmation (which had been put off since Monday for various reasons), but turned to punishment after I confessed to a slip. While we were still in the role affirmation part, I asked Steve if he was spanking harder than usual because it seemed like it hurt more. He said no and I said well my pain threshold must be lower.

This morning I was trying to pinpoint why it hurt more last night and an idea occurred to me. Could it be because a certain aunt we all know and hate is visiting this week?

I decided to do some digging. My first step was to check my fertility charting software to find out exactly when previous cycles occurred (mine are irregular so I rely on charting to keep track) so I could see if they lined up with more painful spankings. Unfortunately, the cycles I have had since beginning DD lined up with spanking-free weeks so it was back to the drawing board.

Next I put my medical background to work by researching pain threshold and the female cycle in medical journals. I found something interesting. Research has found a link between estrogen and pain tolerance.

Researchers looked at why this occurs. When the body senses pain, opioids called endorphins and enkaphalins are released. These bind to receptors called to mu-opioid receptors, which are found throughout the brain. This results in the person's perception of pain being altered, making them more able to tolerate it.

When estrogen levels are decreased such as they are at the beginning and end of a menstrual cycle, fewer opioids are released and fewer receptors are activated. This has the effect of lowering the pain threshold, which is why spankings that occur during these times seem to hurt more than ones carried out in the middle of the cycle when estrogen levels are at their peak.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, Dana. DD husbands need to be aware of this hormonal change in a woman's perception of pain. Did the articles you read discuss why there is a simultaneous decrease in estrogen and opioid levels? Perhaps some time you might consider posting some of the article references and expanding a little on this topic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I was in a hurry when I was writing the post because I was trying to get it done before my company arrived. I plan to do some more research into the topic and write a more in-depth post when I have a little more time to dig into it.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing this info Dana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely interesting. I shall be sure to be well-behaved during those weeks, my pain threshold isn't exactly high to begin with, I don't need a spanking when it's lower than normal due to pesky hormones. I also don't think an argument of "But dear it's TTOTM and I'm not very pain tolerant right now, can we forget the spanking and give me lines instead?" would work. I can wish though can't I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Kitten. If only that excuse would work. While Steve won't avoid spanking while my pain tolerance is low, he does adjust the strength of the spanking to compensate for it. In those times, what to him seems like a mild spanking is as effective as a normal spanking and he's very careful not to overdo things.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.