Friday, October 12, 2012

Four Months

Yesterday was our four month anniversary since deciding to implement domestic discipline into our marriage. Looking back at all the changes it has brought to our relationship, I regret taking so long to work up my nerve to talk to Steve about DD. If I had brought this to him when I first started thinking about it, we'd be close to celebrating two years by now. Given how easily he agreed to it, I find myself wondering why I was so worried about his reaction that it took me a year and half of thinking before I talked to him about it.

Last night we were laying in bed watching TV together when he commented that I seemed like I was feeling better. If you read my post earlier this week, you know what that means. I jokingly replied that I was still sick and gave a few fake coughs as proof. He just laughed. Truth be told, although I'm still not completely well, I am feeling a lot better. I've even managed to catch up on some of the housework I was behind on.

He decided to wait until this evening since we're going to have the house to ourselves for a few hours while our daughter visits her grandparents. Once I heard that, I was all set to make a quick getaway before he changed his mind, but he had other ideas. As soon as I sat up on the edge of the bed and reached down to put on my slippers, he surprised me by saying I was to stay put or else. Since I had already dodged a major bullet for a day, I decided not to chance finding out what the "or else" was.

So I laid back down beside him under the quilt. He reached our for my hand and intertwined his fingers in mine. We lay there talking for a while before settling into a companionable silence as he watched TV and I let my thoughts wander.

It's funny how our relationship has changed over time. Early in our relationship, we were always together. If he went in the bedroom to watch a movie, I was right there beside him. If I curled up in the living room recliner with a book, he would play on the computer in the same room. As time passed, though, we started spending a lot of time apart. We were still under the same roof, but most of the time we were in separate rooms of the house.

I used to fuss about us not spending time together. I felt like I didn't get any time to myself with him. But I was just as much to blame for it as he was. Now that Steve's found his inner HoH, he has been insisting on it me staying nearby more. Even if I'm not watching TV with him, he wants me close so he can see and touch me. So when he turns on COPS for the fiftieth time, I grab my laptop or a book and head to the bedroom with him. Because even if we're both busy doing our own thing, I have to admit I like knowing he's close enough I can see and touch him too.

1 comment:

  1. That's true for us as well, Dana. Neither of us likes to be where we can't feel the other, or hold hands. It's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.