Saturday, October 13, 2012

I'm Not a Very Good Weather Forecaster

My weather forecasting skills must be on the fritz. After two weeks of building, I was calling for one heck of a storm round these parts. The kind of storm that brings a deluge of rain, thunder rumbling loud enough to shake the windows, lightning streaking the sky and wind whipping through the trees. I was all set to hide out until the storm was over and calm weather returned.


That's not the storm that arrived last night. The evening got off to a slow start. At the appointed time, I dropped our daughter off at her grandparents' house. It took me close to an hour to get away myself because they wanted to catch up. I thought for sure Steve would be home when I got there, but he wasn't.

About an hour after I made it home, Steve finally arrived. I walked out to greet him, only to see that he wasn't alone. He had brought home a coworker. Apparently the coworker's wife was supposed to come pick him up when he called to tell her he was off work, but she wasn't answering the phone. So Steve came home, swapped to another vehicle (his work truck is terrible on gas and the guy lives on the other side of town) and took him home.

By the time he got back, I was feeling a bit frustrated and trying hard to not let it color my attitude. After all, when a storm is expected, the last thing you want is weather conditions worsening and maybe throwing in some hail stones or tornadoes.

Then Steve's phone rang. I have a love/hate relationship with that phone. I love that I can get ahold of him any time I need to talk to him. But I hate how it always seems to ring when we're trying to get some alone time or having a conversation. Prior to DD, I once jerked it out of his hand, turned it off and shoved it to the bottom of my purse because he kept taking calls while we were out on a date night.

Anyway, the call was from a friend who had just got home after having surgery. After being cooped up in the hospital for a couple days, he wanted to come over. To Steve's credit, he told the guy that it would have to wait because it was our alone time. BUT instead of hanging up, he continued to talk to him for a while.

Once he got off the phone, we were down to less than an hour before we had to pick our daughter up. Needless to say, I was not happy. I was really fighting to not let my frustration get the better of me. I mostly managed although a "I don't know why the hell I even bother." did slip out.

He caught up to me as I was leaving the room, turning me to face him and lifting my chin so we were eye to eye (well as eye to eye as we can be considering he's taller than I am). He apologized that our evening didn't go as planned and told me that the punishment I had coming would still be carried out, just delayed until our daughter was home and in bed. Then he left to go pick her up.

While he was gone, I kept thinking and my frustration kept growing. After two weeks of having a punishment hanging over my head, I was not happy to have to wait any longer. As a result, by the time he got back, I was feeling kind of feisty. I might have even told him that he may as well just go to bed because I was NOT coming in there so he could spank me. When he told me I would have to come to bed some time, I said I'd sleep in the recliner in the living room. I can already see you shaking your head and saying "Oh Dana, why do you insist on digging deeper when you're already in trouble?"

Steve just calmly moved forward in his chair until he was in front of me, lifted my chin so we were face to face and told me he could just put me over his knee right where we were (we were in our home office). After one dubious look at his office chair (which has a tendency to dump you in the floor if you lean too far to one side), I gave up and began the slow march to the bedroom with him following close behind.

Once in the bedroom. I laid my head on his lap and he stroked my back while we talked. Then he put me in position and got started. It was over quicker than I expected. He granted me grace. A lot of it. In all honesty, more than I deserved.





So instead of the storm of the century like I was predicting, it ended up being a brief cloudburst. Fast and furious for just a few minutes, then clouds clearing to let the sunshine back in and a rainbow appear.

6 comments:

  1. Waiting for a punishment is never fun. Having the goalposts moved can be quite stressful for the one who must administer the punishment and for the one on the receiving end. But you both weathered this one quite well. Thanks for sharing, Dana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate waiting and almost always end up getting in more trouble when I have to wait, usually because I get frustrated. We're both glad to have it behind us (no pun intended) and ready to get back to normal.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the storm blew out to sea, and left you with fair skies. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend reconnecting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. Despite getting off to a rough start, we did end up having a nice weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dana,
    I am familiar with this feeling. I hate knowing something bad is coming, and usually Ian doesn't say something until right before, so I don't have a chance to stew on it, and not sleep, etc.
    He sounds nice, stroking the hair and back. That helps, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He usually tries not to put things off, but sometimes things gets in the way. In this case, it was me being sick for two weeks and him not feeling like it would be right to punish me when I was already miserable from being sick.

      Taking the time to stroke my hair and back does help, especially when I'm wound up. And it helps draw my attention to us rather than what I'm stewing about so when he does get to the spanking part, I'm less likely to balk. It's one of those things we've figured out as we went.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.