Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Calm Before the Storm

Things have been kinda peaceful around here lately. You might even say they've been spank-free for a bit. I'd like to say that it's because I've been a perfect angel and haven't done anything to land myself in hot water, but I can't. This is just the calm before the storm. If you look closely, you can see the storm clouds gathering on the horizon. It's only a matter of time until the storm arrives.

It all started when I got a cold, a cold I generously shared with Steve (wasn't that nice of me?). His ran its course within a few days. Mine, on the other hand, has got progressively worse. I'm not surprised. Thanks to numerous respiratory infections as a child, I have weak lungs. Add in asthma and me being a smoker (dumb, I know) and I'm a magnet for respiratory illnesses. A cold almost almost turns into bronchitis. Or worse.

After a scare with my breathing Thursday night, I was told to go to the doctor so I could get some antibiotics. I ended up sleeping nearly all day Friday until it was time to pick our daughter up from school and then we ran errands. By the time we got home and I remembered I was supposed to call the doctor's office, it was too late.

Steve was not pleased. It wasn't the first time that week he had been unhappy with me. You see I may have taken advantage of not feeling well to get away with some things that I normally wouldn't have. Things like letting the dishes pile up, skipping chores and being a little less than respectful. It's not that I set out to misbehave. I'm just feeling so crappy right now it's easy to give in to it and let stuff go.

But I didn't get spanked. When I asked him why he didn't, he said he's not going to spank me while I'm sick. He wants me healthy so I can focus on why I'm getting punished. So in the meantime, he's keeping track of my offenses and they will all be handled once I'm not sick anymore. At the rate I'm going, that's not going to be for a while.

Common sense would say that if you're already in trouble, it's probably a good idea to start behaving and not get in any more trouble. But I guess all the cold medicine and breathing difficulties have messed with common sense. Instead the little devil on my shoulder has come out to play. With a quick jab of her pitchfork, my angelic side was sent tumbling down. The little devil is in control and whispering things like "You're already in trouble, may as well enjoy it." in my ear.

So even though my bottom remains unspanked for now and has been for going on 2 weeks, it's just the calm before the storm. Once I'm back on my feet again, Steve will have me flipped facedown over his lap and a storm all his own will be raining down on my backside. Neither of us will enjoy the storm, but we both know it's necessary to send those storm clouds away so we can get back to our sunshine.fair weather.

8 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon. As I read this post I could def. put myself in your place almost word for word. I am building while sick and know the storm will come soon. I hope you feel better and that the storm is not to bad.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you will have some serious music to face! Even so, I hope that you feel better soon so that you can get past that part and get back on track:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tess. Part of me getting off track wasn't intentional. I just didn't have the energy to do anything. But I'll be glad once I'm over this crud and we're back to normal.

      Delete
  3. Uhoh. I hope you feel better soon...not only so that you're not sick anymore, but so that you quit adding to the punishment it sounds like you already have coming.

    I was sick recently myself and I know that Michael extended some grace and mercy my way because there were things that I fell behind with. But, for the most part, I managed to maintain a good attitude and wasn't disrespectful. I think if I'd failed in that department too then I would've been paying the piper when I felt better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. Steve has been pretty good through it. He's even let some things slide because he knows I don't feel good. As far as the disrespect, I think he knows it wasn't intentional. A couple times my tone came across more snappish than I intended and I immediately apologized for it.

      Delete
  4. I hope you feel better soon, Dana. And I hope the storm is a brief and not so terrible one. That would drive me crazy having to wait, or accumulating things.

    Ward and I have an agreement that if something is earned it is dealt with immediately, cause the waiting makes me over-anxious. You're sure stronger than I being able to wait it out. I'll pray for partial amnesia for Steve ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. I hate waiting. It drives me crazy and I almost always end up getting myself in more trouble if I do have to wait. I tried to talk him into going ahead with the spanking last week, but he insisted that he's waiting until I feel better.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.