Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Need for Speed

Yesterday I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school. I was cruising along listening to the radio and thinking. I was speeding, but I wasn't too worried about getting pulled over because the cops are normally sitting at the other end of the road and I know to slow down as I get close to that point.

This big SUV had been riding my bumper for a couple minutes, which was annoying me because the roads were still a bit slick from all the rain we've had lately and I didn't want to get rear-ended if I had to stop quickly. There wasn't really room to move over into the other lane so I stayed in my lane cruising along at the same speed.

Then I looked up in my mirror again and saw a sight that nearly stopped my heart.


My first thought was "Oh crap I'm going to get a ticket for speeding." That thought was immediately followed by wondering how we were going to pay the ticket when we're dead broke right now. Then my thoughts moved to the effect of a ticket on our car insurance premium.

But it was the last thought that really filled me with dread. I realized that I was going to have to tell Steve and he was NOT going to be happy about it. And by not happy, I mean I probably wasn't going to feel comfortable sitting for a couple days.

You see I used to be a bit of a speed demon. Having to pay a very expensive ticket and nearly losing my license over speeding in my teens slowed me down for a while, but by the time Steve and I got married, my lead food had returned and it was only through dumb luck that I hadn't got caught speeding again. So he told me if I got a ticket, he was taking my keys until he felt I could be responsible enough to travel at a safe speed, or at least one that wouldn't get me a ticket. Looking back, I see he had HoH tendencies even then.


Shortly after we started DD, I nearly got pulled over for speeding. I wasn't paying attention when the speed limit dropped and I went by a cop running about 13 over the speed limit. Around here, you can go five or six over the limit without a problem. Anything more and you get pulled over. Thankfully, right after the cop pulled onto the road to come after me, another car blew by both of us going even faster than I was and the cop decided to go after that car rather than mine. When I mentioned it to Steve, he said since taking my keys wasn't really an option anymore with us having a kid that needs to be taken to and from school, I could expect one heck of a spanking if I got a ticket for speeding.

Anyway, after seeing that heart-dropping sight in my mirror, I carefully merged into the right lane in preparation for pulling over at the next spot I could do so safely. Meanwhile I was praying desperately that the officer would take into account that I haven't had a ticket for anything in years and let me off with just a warning.. I would still have to tell Steve and would probably still be in trouble, but it wouldn't be as bad as if I'd got an actual ticket.

I was a little confused when the cop didn't immediately follow me to the right lane. Then I breathed a sigh of relief when he flipped his lights off and kept going up the road. I don't know if he was warning me about my speed, just wanted me out of his way or got a more important call at that very moment, but he didn't pull me over.

I have to admit I debated about whether or not to tell Steve. After all, I didn't really get pulled over and I didn't get a warning or a ticket. I was alone in the car when it happened and barring someone we both know seeing it happen and telling him about it, he would never find out.

But even though he would probably never find out, it would bother me. To not tell him flies in the face of the honesty and trust our relationship is based on. I just couldn't do that to him, to us.

I wasn't quite sure how he'd react. He'd had a bit of a rough day and was aggravated when he got home so I held off on telling him right away. When we went to bed, he talked a little more about his day, but he was calmer so I kind of led into it by saying "Well it could have been worse. You could have got blue-lighted like I did."

He was quiet for a minute before asking why so I told him I had been speeding. Then he asked how fast I was going. Finally he asked if I got a ticket. Since he was already turning towards the drawer where we keep the implements, I was quick to assure him that I hadn't. He settled back down after hearing that and I told him the whole story.

I didn't get in trouble. Since the cop never actually pulled me over, there's no way to be sure whether he flipped on his lights because I was speeding or for some other reason. He did, however, remind me in explicit detail of what I could expect if I do get a ticket.


I think it's time to slow down. I don't think my buns of steel are quite up to handling the trouble my lead foot might bring.

22 comments:

  1. Oh my Dana
    I was holding my breath reading that and only let go when Steve didn't open the draw lol.
    You were lucky, very lucky. Keep that foot of yours under control for your behinds sake if for nothing else x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was holding my breath when I saw him reaching for the drawer. It took a few minutes for my pulse to return to normal after that. Thankfully he's more concerned with me getting a ticket than he is the actual speeding. He's a bit of a lead foot himself and has had 3 tickets since we met. I, on the other hand, have been lucky and haven't had one for nearly 15 years now.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh! So glad you didn't get pulled over and get a ticket!!! I hate that feeling!
    I have a bit of a lead foot too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Elle, I was thanking my lucky stars when the cop turned his lights off and kept going. I told Steve I was more worried about getting in trouble with him than I was the ticket I thought I was getting.

      Delete
  3. Whoopie Sally, that was close! Glad you only got warnings all the way around. Maybe you should get one of these http://bit.ly/V88a6d to remind you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get one of those June.

      Delete
  4. Close call Dana! I know your heart stopped for a few very long seconds. Slow down ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a close call Tricia, but thankfully I dodged that bullet.

      Delete
  5. I'm actually jealous. I get spanked for speeding, ticket or not. Though I guess I am glad he follows through, and I guess I need to be reminded to behave, but still, a little jealous. ;) I am glad you didn't get a ticket, but your poor heart must have been beating clear out of your chest until you knew for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd been speeding by a lot, he probably would have spanked me. I was only going 10 over and the road is a straight one so he didn't really consider that a safety issue, especially since he routinely speeds through the same stretch of road.

      Delete
  6. My heart was thudding for you as well Dana. It's the insurance angle that packs a punch isn't it? I don't think I would dare come home if I got a ticket for speeding! We lose points off our licences here in the UK too! I've never got a speeding ticket, and I have to tell you that is mainly through luck. I love driving fast, especially if I borrow Starman's car, because mine just chugs along, so to drive his car is a real treat. You are going 90 by the time you've breathed in and out once! I watch all the overhead bridges and all the slip roads. Plust we have cameras simply everywhere! What's a girl to do?!

    Glad you managed to avoid a sore bum!

    Hugs, Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insurance angle definitely hurts. When Steve got three tickets in about a year's time, our premium doubled. I was so relieved when it finally dropped back down after he went a couple years without a ticket.

      My car is pretty speedy considering the motor that's in it. If you're not paying attention, it's easy for the speed to creep up. If I remember right, the speedometer goes to 130, but I've only went to 95 in it myself.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad our insurance has nothing to do with speeding fines, or any fines for that matter. I haven't had any in a long time though. Cameras are the worst! He hates me speeding at home, but he didn't say a thing when I set the cruise control on 90 on the I75 last week in GA......... Maybe he was as sick of the car as I was.......

    I'm glad you didn't get a fine Dana, they suck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky in that we live in a small enough town that we don't have cameras. A couple years ago, I went to visit one of my sisters who lives in a bigger city. I about had a heart attack when I was telling her about going through a red light right as it was changing and she told me that I'd probably get a ticket in the mail for doing it because they do have cameras. Thankfully it didn't happen, but I'm a lot more careful when I visit bigger cities now.

      Delete
  8. This is just too soon after my whole debacle with speeding, Dana....As I was reading I was thinking...oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God and now I feel so relieved for you and everything worked out!
    Whew.....
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lillie, I actually thought of your post when I was debating whether or not to tell Steve. Steve feels the same about hiding stuff as Ian does (and I suspect most HoHs do as well) and I would have definitely been in more trouble if I hadn't told him.

      I'm sorry to make you relive your experience with speeding.

      Delete
  9. Hey my fellow lead foot - I also have a need for speed and sometimes it does get the best of me. Happy you didn't get a spanking, held my breath there for a few minutes! Slow down (do as I say, not as I do haha) so your bottom doesn't pay the price!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experience did slow me down a bit. Today I was extremely careful to keep my speed within 5 of the limit. I even slowed down when I saw I was about to pass a car that had state plates (which usually indicates it's an unmarked car). Even though I wasn't speeding, I wasn't taking any chances.

      Delete
  10. Kudos to you for telling him when it was likely he wouldn't have found out. If it had been me, I would have ended up telling my husband as well...it would bug me if I didn't. I'm glad you didn't get into trouble. Perhaps that reminder of what would've happened if you had gotten a ticket did the trick. Good luck slowing down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. It would have bugged me. I don't like keeping things from him. He's pretty good at reading me so he probably would have knew something was up anyway.

      Delete
  11. Phew Dana! I was holding my breath reading this - you were so lucky, that was close. Good on you for telling him what happened. I'm glad you didn't get in trouble.

    I have a lead foot as well and my husband has said the same. Any tickets would mean big trouble. Guess we both better slow down a bit - sigh!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't help that we live in a town right beside the interstate. Most of the time it's easier to jump on the interstate and go down a couple exits than it is to drive through town. It's usually quicker too as you can run 60-65 on the interstate and only 35 in town. Of course after going 60-65, I don't want to drop down to 35.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.