Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Laundry Woes

This morning Steve told me that I needed to get caught up on the laundry because he had his last pair of socks on. He generally doesn't care how often I do laundry as long as he doesn't reach in the drawer for something and find out that he's out. Ever the obedient wife (quit laughing), I promptly started a load of whites as soon as I finished packing his lunch.

He left for work and I watched one of my recorded shows on the DVR until the wash cycle was done. I transferred the load to the dryer, turned it on and started to walk away, only to come running back when this awful racket started.

I opened the door and peeked in. I didn't see anything that could be causing the noise inside the drum so I checked the lint trap to see if something had got sucked in there. Nothing there either so I shut the door and turned it back on. As soon as I turned it on, the noise started again. So I stopped it again.

I got distracted by something else for a while and then came back to try again. Still making noise. I really didn't feel like lugging all our laundry to the laundromat so I started researching other options.


Maybe I could string a clothes line across the laundry room and air dry. Of course as cold as it's been, they would probably take forever to dry. So I said the heck with it and walked away, figuring I'd get Steve to look at it when he got home..

When he came home, I told him I had washed his socks, but couldn't dry them because the dryer was making funny noises. He asked if I had left something in the pockets that might have got sucked into the vent and I told him I didn't think so because I always empty pockets before I put stuff in the washer.

He went out to look and came back in a minute later with a funny look. He asked if that was the sound it was making. I listened for a minute. The only thing I heard was a perfectly functioning dryer. So I asked what he did to fix it.

He didn't do anything. He just turned the darned thing on and it worked fine for him with no mysterious noises.

He gave me a look that said "nice try." and walked off with a smile. I swear he thinks I made up the whole thing just to get out of doing laundry.

15 comments:

  1. I swear appliances and cars do that on purpose, it has to be some trick men learn when we aren't around. Try again tomorrow to catch up on that laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do Cathie. I ran into the same issue a while back with my car. I kept hearing the brakes grinding and was feeling a vibration whenever I hit the brakes. Steve would take the car for a ride and it wouldn't do it for him. After the third time, I quit telling him.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that picture - cracked me up!

    And isn't that the worst, when something that was.not.working suddenly does? Ugh.

    You are a sweetie for trying.

    Elisa
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa. I hate when stuff does that.

      Delete
  3. Argh - I hate it when that happens! Hard to try to convince them it was making a noise. Well, I guess the good news is that it isn't broken :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to convince them Roz. Of course even if it was broken, it wouldn't have got me out of laundry for long since we have another dryer out in the shed. Our landlord's provided a washer and dryer but I already had a set that was larger capacity so we just stored theirs.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it's not broken. I'd hate if my dryer was broken in winter.
    H is like that with broken things... he never believes me when I say something was working fine when i last used it. Apparently I break everything :/

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate that? The first thing Steve asked when I told him something was wrong with it was what did I do to it. I mean seriously, did he think I deliberately sabotaged it?

      Delete
  5. Every. Single. Time! Is wear this happens here all the time lol. I will explain something that didn't work or was making a noise or whatever... Then the minute Fireman looks at it, it works perfectly. I just stand there with a dumb look on my face lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband calls this "technician intimidation" and it happens to me all the time. Unfair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he's onto something there Susie. It is unfair.

      Delete
  7. I HATE it when appliances won't work for us, and then work for whoever else checks it for us! Grrrr lol I'm so sorry that happened. Our dryer has been broken for a year. I refuse to fix it because we now save $20 a month by hanging our clothes. Though, being sick right now, I have SERIOUSLY debated getting it fixed. It's so much easier to just toss them in than to hang them up. I hope he'll believe you soon. I mean, you put them in the dryer already, if you washed them, and put them in... how much more work would it really take to press the button??? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es May, we had a clothes line at our old house and I miss it. I only used the dryer in the winter time or if it was raining. There used to be a clothes line here but the landlords took it out shortly before they rented us the place.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.