Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Marriage Conference

Growing our marriage is something that's very important to me. Shortly after we started TTWD, I visited the local Christian bookstore. I went to find a women's devotional since I had long outgrown the teen devotional Bible I've had for years. Instead I found some other books, or rather they found me. After looking at a couple books on marriage and submission, I put them back. But I kept finding myself going back to them. Finally I figured if God kept putting those books in my hands, He meant for me to read them. So I bought them.

That started us both on the road to growing our marriage. Since then, we've bought several more books, including a couple's devotional. We've also found Bible study guides about marriage online and studied them together and separately.

But the one thing that never occurred to us was a marriage conference or retreat. I don't know why it didn't. After all, I know some churches do couples retreats. Ours doesn't as far as I know, but I have heard of other churches doing it.

The other day as I was catching up on Facebook, I noticed one of my friends mention that she had just registered her husband and herself for a marriage conference. She provided a link to the conference they were planning to attend. I wasn't going to check out the link because I figured with her living in a different state, chances were that the conference was going to be too far away.

But something told me to look and, to my surprise, I found out the conference is only a couple hours away from us. It's also near enough to my family that we can leave our daughter with them instead of trying to find a sitter for the weekend.

I talked to Steve about it and while he wasn't as thrilled by the idea as I was, he said we could go. So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, it looks like we'll be attending our first ever marriage conference later this month. I'm excited. Aside from this being our first conference, it will also be the first time we've went away without our daughter since she was born, something that is long overdue.

12 comments:

  1. How exciting for you two! Make sure you tell us how it goes :)

    I have done the same and bought a couples devotional. Its about love & respect. We are hoping to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Night Light: A Devotional for Couples by James and Shirley Dobson. It's great. Each week focuses on a different area (communication, husband's role, wife's role, etc). It has a little bit of reading then some discussion questions. Most nights have a prayer that you can say together.

      Delete
  2. Thats awesome Dana. It's great that it's so close. If we went to one it would be insanely expensive. It would have to include flights as well as I've never seen one advertised in Aus, I have looked though.

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when I found out it was so close. This one is apparently held in the same location annually so if we like it, we'll probably keep going back every year.

      You might check with your local churches. The one we're going to is hosted by a church in that area. I know some churches also offer marriage retreats.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dana, how exciting, a conference and also a chance to get away by yourselves for the weekend. I'm sure you will get a lot out of the conference.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I can't wait. We've been talking about going away together for a while, but neither us were really comfortable with the idea of leaving our daughter since there are very few people she'll stay overnight with. If this goes well, maybe I can find get my romantic weekend away when our anniversary arrives.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Dana - I hope the conference is everything you are hoping for. I know the time away with Steve will be. ;)

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cat. We're looking forward to it.

      Delete
  5. Oh Dana, how wonderful! I hope the conference and time away together will enrich your marriage and both of you will come away from it feeling refreshed, renewed and closer than ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful, Dana. :) I hope and pray that there will be something to take away from the weekend that will strengthen your marriage for life. :) I'd love to hear about it when you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alec and I started on that same journey several years ago after we hit a very bad place! We now do a nightly devotional. We have also attend a marriage Retreat over the last 3 years sponsored by a large Christian book store. Could be the same. They do several throughout the country. It was so worth it!! We are committed to going every year. We found the workshops and speaker truly inspirational!
    I hope it's everything your hoping it to be! It was for us!
    Hugs, Catrinka

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the details lined up! It's so funny how that happens! Hope you guys have a great time and learn a lot about each other :) you'll definitely have to let us all know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.