Yesterday morning we took off going out of town to pick up a truck that Steve had bought. I went along to drive the car back. Since we were going to be close to where my family lives, our plan was for me to go with him to get the truck then he'd take it home while I took the car to visit family.
It was a good plan, but we failed to consider the variable nature of weather. You see we'd had some snow a few days earlier, but it was already melting off. But more was supposed to moving in last night. We thought we'd both be home before the snow came.
Things didn't work as planned. When we picked up the truck, it started spitting snow. I learned how to drive in the mountains so driving in the snow doesn't really bother me me, which is why I turned down Steve when he offered to let me take the new truck since it's four wheel drive. I figured I had plenty of time to get home before the roads got bad so I told him I'd be fine with my car, but I would cut my family visit short so I wasn't leaving as late.
The weather changed fast. I had visited with family for less than an hour when the snow started really coming down. So I left then, figuring I might run into an occasional patch of ice, but would otherwise be okay.
I was wrong. Two hours after I left heading home, I wasn't even halfway to our house and I'd already slid out of the road once. I called Steve to ask how the roads were around the house and he said they were fine so I decided to keep going figuring I'd be out of the icy roads soon.
About a half hour after I talked to him, I started up the mountain that we have to cross to get to our house. I got about halfway up when my car started spinning. Then it spun completely around on me. When it stopped spinning, I was off the side of the road and facing back the way we'd came from.
To be honest, it scared me. With me alone, it was bad enough, but our daughter was in the backseat. If we hadn't slid out of the road, we might have got hit by another car. If the car had slid off the other side of the road, we probably would have got hurt. I sat there on the side of the road for a couple minutes waiting on my hands to quit shaking and my pulse to return to normal.
Thankfully a passerby stopped to check on me. I told them we were fine, just a little shook up. They offered to wait to be sure I could get back on the road, which turned out to be a good thing because when I went to take off, I was stuck. So they pushed me out and I headed back down the mountain to the last town I had passed so I could call Steve.
I told him what had happened. He freaked out at first, but calmed down once I assured him we were fine and even the car was fine. He really didn't want me to get back on the road to find a hotel or backtrack to where I started so once he made sure we were somewhere safe and warm, he told me to stay put until he got there.
The trip that would normally take an hour took him three hours. Meanwhile, my daughter and I sat at a fast food restaurant until they closed. Then as they were closing, an officer came by and drove us to another restaurant down the road that was open 24 hours. I worried the entire time because I knew how bad the roads were.
I breathed a sigh of relief when he walked in the restaurant with a friend of his. The friend drove me and my daughter in the truck following Steve who drove my car to the house of the family member that lived nearby. Then we all piled in the truck together and made the long trek back over the mountain to home. All in all, I arrived home 10 hours after I initially set out.
As I curled up in his arms to go to sleep last night, I said a prayer of thanksgiving. Despite the hazardous road conditions, we all came through it safely.