Sunday, February 3, 2013

No Matter What Happens, He'll be There

Yesterday morning we took off going out of town to pick up a truck that Steve had bought. I went along to drive the car back. Since we were going to be close to where my family lives, our plan was for me to go with him to get the truck then he'd take it home while I took the car to visit family.

It was a good plan, but we failed to consider the variable nature of weather. You see we'd had some snow a few days earlier, but it was already melting off. But more was supposed to moving in last night. We thought we'd both be home before the snow came.

Things didn't work as planned. When we picked up the truck, it started spitting snow. I learned how to drive in the mountains so driving in the snow doesn't really bother me me, which is why I turned down Steve when he offered to let me take the new truck since it's four wheel drive. I figured I had plenty of time to get home before the roads got bad so I told him I'd be fine with my car, but I would cut my family visit short so I wasn't leaving as late.

The weather changed fast. I had visited with family for less than an hour when the snow started really coming down. So I left then, figuring I might run into an occasional patch of ice, but would otherwise be okay.

I was wrong. Two hours after I left heading home, I wasn't even halfway to our house and I'd already slid out of the road once. I called Steve to ask how the roads were around the house and he said they were fine so I decided to keep going figuring I'd be out of the icy roads soon.

About a half hour after I talked to him, I started up the mountain that we have to cross to get to our house. I got about halfway up when my car started spinning. Then it spun completely around on me. When it stopped spinning, I was off the side of the road and facing back the way we'd came from.

To be honest, it scared me. With me alone, it was bad enough, but our daughter was in the backseat. If we hadn't slid out of the road, we might have got hit by another car. If the car had slid off the other side of the road, we probably would have got hurt. I sat there on the side of the road for a couple minutes waiting on my hands to quit shaking and my pulse to return to normal.

Thankfully a passerby stopped to check on me. I told them we were fine, just a little shook up. They offered to wait to be sure I could get back on the road, which turned out to be a good thing because when I went to take off, I was stuck. So they pushed me out and I headed back down the mountain to the last town I had passed so I could call Steve.

I told him what had happened. He freaked out at first, but calmed down once I assured him we were fine and even the car was fine. He really didn't want me to get back on the road to find a hotel or backtrack to where I started so once he made sure we were somewhere safe and warm, he told me to stay put until he got there.

The trip that would normally take an hour took him three hours. Meanwhile, my daughter and I sat at a fast food restaurant until they closed. Then as they were closing, an officer came by and drove us to another restaurant down the road that was open 24 hours. I worried the entire time because I knew how bad the roads were.

I breathed a sigh of relief when he walked in the restaurant with a friend of his. The friend drove me and my daughter in the truck following Steve who drove my car to the house of the family member that lived nearby. Then we all piled in the truck together and made the long trek back over the mountain to home. All in all, I arrived home 10 hours after I initially set out.

As I curled up in his arms to go to sleep last night, I said a prayer of thanksgiving. Despite the hazardous road conditions, we all came through it safely.

21 comments:

  1. How very scary, Dana, and how fortunate you were! I'm glad all are safe and sound!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was terrifying. It was such a relief when he walked in the restaurant and I could put myself in the place I feel safest, his arms.

      Delete
  2. That sounds horrifying, but I am happy to hear that everything was okay. How happy you must have been to curl up in Steve's arm.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Lillie. I think he realized how much it shook me up because he's pulled me into his arms for a long hug several times today.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness you are all safe! I'm sorry you had to go through that ordeal.

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you're home safe! We're having storms right now, I can't imagine having to drive that long in the snow. What a great husband to come and 'rescue' you. :) Real knight in shining armour stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind driving in the snow Es May. It's the ice that scares me. He is my knight in shining armor.

      Delete
  5. Oh Dana, Ice is truly scary. I am so happy that you and your daughter were safe and that you all made it home safely. Sorry you had to go through such an ordeal.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. It was definitely something I hope to never have to go through again.

      Delete
  6. Im so happy you are home safe. Snow and ice are so scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are Tricia. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I hate ice. I'm glad you're ok, that feeling of being stuck in a car sliding with absolutely no control over the car is the worst feeling ever!

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana,
    I am so glad that you and your daughter are safe at home with your family. And so glad that you have a wonderful husband who will always be there.

    Elisa Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa. Steve was wonderful.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness Dana, how very scary for you. I'm so very glad you all made it home safe and sound.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh...this kind of stuff strikes me to the heart. So glad you are safe and sound and in the end, you are left with some pretty special memories of how Steve handled the whole day.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.