Monday, February 4, 2013

Reflections

I've heard people say that in a life threatening situation, their lives flashed before them. As I fought the steering wheel to regain control of my spinning car this weekend, that didn't happen to me. Instead I felt fear and regret.

My daughter was asleep in the backseat when it happened. I was terrified that we'd get hit by another car or slide off the other side of the road. All I could think of is that I might lose her, that she might get hurt or worse. I prayed that God would protect her even if he didn't protect me. I didn't care about my own safety, only hers.

I regretted that I might not get another chance to let my loved ones know how much I really love them. I regretted angry words spoken, the times I let stubbornness and pride get in the way of apologizing, and not cherishing every day I had with them. I felt regret that I might leave Steve alone after we've worked so hard to build our marriage.

Thankfully it didn't come to that. We ended coming through the experience without a single injury, although it scared me out of my wits. My daughter slept through the entire thing, not waking until after we were stopped and sitting on the side of the road.

Later as we sat in a restaurant waiting on Steve to arrive, I worried about his safety. When he walked in the door, all I wanted to do was run to him, throw myself in his arms and never let go. But our daughter beat me to it so I sat back and waited until she was done.

And since then, I've clung to Steve every chance I get. I hardly want to let him out of my sight.

That one terrifying moment has brought us closer than any other thing we've faced to date. It's sad in a way, though, that it took something like this to make me realize how much I really do love him and want to cherish every moment that we have together. Now I'm determined that not a single day is going to go by without me letting my loved ones know they are loved and cared about.

19 comments:

  1. Sometimes it does take something scary to appreciate what we have Dana. Thank God you, your daughter and Steve were not injured in the lesson. Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you and your daughter are safe. Sometimes those moments that scatter your wits and scare you sensless are exactly the wake up call you need. Because of TTWD, you have a constructive way to channel the feelings of relief you feel. Enjoy your family and stay safe!

    ~Mami

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a near death experience a few years ago, and I have to say that my life didn't in fact flash before my eyes. Like you, all I could think about was my family. I'm so glad you're all safe, Dana! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad, but it does sometimes take a close call for us to see how much we truly have.

    Hugs,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everything was okay - despite the terrible scare, and you are making the best of the situation by reflecting about what is really important - good for you, Dana.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dana
    Such an awful experience, but so glad you all came through without injury.
    Such experiences do bring you closer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like we have one of these sorts of incidents each winter around here...and yes, it sure makes one rethink how they approach each day, remembering how much we love our families. So glad you are feeling close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't drive if the weather is bad. If I need to go somewhere, Steve takes me. So this was something new for us.

      Delete
  8. Yikes! Glad you are all okay Dana. I would be clinging too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you and your daughter are safe! It's OK to hug a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. Hugs are always good.

      Delete
  10. Hello, Dana and Steve!

    I am reading this post on March, 3, 2016, so it's obvious that everything ended up all right in spite of the snow. I've come near death quite often, having watched several dear people die. However, these days, seeing my partner rather sick (a long history of heart problems, diabetes, herniated discs, and on top of that, a stupid throat infection which put him on medical leave), made me think I am lucky to have him around. I can perfectly understand how scared you can get imagining you haven't shown all the love you have for the significant one in your life, and how much you would like to be there for just a bit to have the time to say "I love you!" just once more.

    I am not a big fan of DD, although I understand we all need some rules in our relationship. My man lets me do whatever I want, but generally, I have enough common sense as to be a responsible adult. I work at home, a 70 hours’ work week, including Saturdays and Sundays, and he works less than I do, so he never complains if, for instance, I haven't vacuumed the apartment we live in (I should do it about twice a week, but I usually do it once).

    The reason I started reading DD blogs like yours is to better understand the needs of my man. Reading other people rules and their stories of ups and downs has painted a clearer picture in my mind of what my man might need or want. I am not naturally submissive, I come from a violent and abusive family, but to my surprise I realised I have been acting quite like a good wife with rules and punishments, without actually living in a DD family. To me, having my man pleased and happy is very important, having me in good shape and healthy is also important, because if I am sick, I can’t look after him, not having home cooked meals everyday is an absurd idea, considering that I adore cooking. I even try to get our cat happy, although this little beast sometimes drives me crazy with her running around the house all day long.

    I would like to thank you both for sharing your experiences with the rest of the world. It had helped me to consider my actions, to be more careful when opening my mouth, to breathe deep and count to ten before raising my voice (which makes me reconsider my tone). All in all, it has helped me to get a better picture of my relationship, and for that I than you both!

    PS: I am 36 and he is 35, and we live in Romanian, in the south-eastern part of Europe.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.