Saturday, March 9, 2013

Everything I learned About Submission, I Learned From Cartoons

If you haven't figured it out already, I'm not very good at submission. I want to be, but it's an uphill battle.

You see submission can be an elusive creature. You think you know what it is, but then something comes along to get you off track. Remember poor Elmer Fudd. He was hunting wabbits and he was pretty sure he found one in Bugs Bunny. But lo and behold Bugs snookered him. One time he told Elmer that he wasn't a rabbit and pointed to a duck and called it a rabbit. Another time, he told Elmer that the rabbit was down a hole, and even peeked down the hole with Elmer.


Sometimes I'm like Elmer Fudd. I think I know what submission is, but I get led astray. What leads me astray? A lot of times it's stubbornness and independence. Sometimes it's rebellion. Then when I realize I've been snookered, submission is like Bugs, saying "What's up Doc?" before going merrily on its way. And the hunt begins again.

Other times I'm more like Wile E. Coyote and submission is the road runner. I know what I'm looking for. I have a plan to get it. My plan never works out the way I expected. Sometimes it even blows up in my face.


But just like Wile E Coyote, I never give up. He orders yet another thing from ACME. I keep coming up with plans. I talk to Steve about the changes he wants to see. I read blogs and books. I do some thinking. I did a little deeper. I know if I can just come up with the right plan, I'll get my road runner (submission) in the end.

Sometimes I'm more like Scooby Doo. Submission is the mystery I'm trying to solve. When I'm faced with something new or scary, I may make excuses to avoid it. I need encouragement to take that first step. That encouragement may come in the form of Steve talking to me about where he wants to leads us or it may be a meeting with the wooden spoon or other implement.


And you know how Scooby is always running around trying to avoid the monsters and manages to stumble across a clue? That's me at times. I get all independent and do whatever I can to avoid submission. Yet in the process I end up learning how to find submission and I find out that what I'm running from isn't really as scary as I thought.

10 comments:

  1. I love this Dana, clever and such great analogies. I can certainly relate to all of the above.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute post Dana and as Roz said...great analogies. Sounds like you're learning from all your cartoon pals. :) Good luck on your continuing journey.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. With a kid of my own plus several that I babysit, it seems cartoons are on more often than not around here. I tend to zone out and let my mind wander after a while, which is how I ended up with this post.

      Delete
  3. This is soooo good Dana. I can relate to it completely. Don't think I'll ever be completely submissified though! Let me know how you get on!

    Hugs

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. Love the term submissified.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this Dana..true and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Dana. Gotta love cartoons. I know I do. And it is amazing what they have to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. They're on a lot around here. I prefer the older cartoons like these over the newer ones. Thankfully our daughter likes them too.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.