Thursday, March 7, 2013

Working With Steve

Shortly after we got engaged, Steve trained me to work as a helper for him. Even though we were working, it was still nice because it allowed us to spend time together that we normally wouldn't get. I worked with him pretty frequently up until a few months before our daughter was born. Once she came along, I went from working with him several times a month down to just a few times a year, mainly if he was in a bind and needed to get a job done quickly.

Over the weekend, he mentioned me possibly going with him one day this week because he was trying to get his current job done before the payday cutoff and he didn't think he'd be able to without help. The company only pays twice a month so if you miss the cutoff, even by just one day, you have to wait another two weeks to get paid. Since this job had already been delayed two weeks waiting on materials, that wasn't something we wanted.

Yesterday was the day he planned to take me to work with him. The night before I checked the weather and was a little concerned because it was calling for snow. While snow doesn't stop Steve from going to work, if school was called off due to the snow, it would stop me from going. Thankfully when he was talking to his mom that night, he mentioned it and she graciously offered to let our daughter spend the day with her if school was called off.

It turned out to be a good thing as my phone rang at six yesterday morning to let me know school had been cancelled due to the snow. Steve dropped our daughter off at his parents' house while I got ready, then we loaded the truck up and set off.

I know Steve has a hard job, but I sometimes forget how hard it really is until I'm on the job with him. Unlike some places I've worked with him, this house was still in the process of being completed so there was no electric, no heat and no water. With freezing temperatures, a bitter wind and snow still coming down, it wasn't ideal. Thankfully there was an electric box up by the road that he could tap into so he ran a 100 foot cord from the road down to the house to power a small heater and work light. We still had to go across the road and up a little hill to fill buckets of water and lug them back though.

We worked together for a while. Since we were the only ones on the job, we talked about anything and everything, including DD. Even though we were working, it was nice because we don't often have time to talk uninterrupted.

Once we reached the point that there wasn't enough room for us both to work in the same room, he set me up to work in one room while he went to work on another one. Even though we were working separately, I could still hear him singing along to the radio so it was still nice. Afterwards, we cleaned up and loaded all his stuff in the truck before heading home.

It was getting late by the time we finally got everything done and started towards home. I wasn't looking forward to having to cook once we got home after working all day, but he said I didn't have to. Instead we stopped to eat. Once we made it home, he went off to pick up our daughter while I dealt with all our critters. Then after settling our daughter down for the night, we watched a movie. By the time it was over, I was so exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open so I headed for bed.

All in all we had a good day. We got the job finished so he could get paid. I managed to stay out of trouble. We had a good time talking and spending time with each other. The only bad thing is how sore I am today. But I'd do it again because even if we're working, I like the time alone together.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Dana...So happy to see this post...you worked together, had some great conversation, had much need alone time and you stayed out of trouble! Absolutely awesome day!!!!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. Tt was an awesome day. After spending the whole day together, we definitely felt more connected and we even had fun.

      Delete
  2. Having those insular times together are awesome. Even if you're working but how amazing that the day benefited your family in so many ways :)


    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. I've told Steve before that I don't care what we're doing, I love it as long as we're doing it together.

      Delete
  3. I so much like these everyday life posts especially when written by someone who knows how to put words together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. Thank you Malcolm.

      Delete
  4. That was so great! A day alone, even when working to just talk. We all need more of those. :) I'm sorry your sore, but it sounds like it was very worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Es May. It was wonderful having time together to talk without constant interruptions. We didn't even get cell service there so nobody could even call or text. It was awesome. And Steve's promised a full body massage so I can't complain too much about being sore.

      Delete
  5. How awesome. I'm so glad you got that time together.

    Before DH, we couldn't work together to save our lives. I hated it! Now, we actually really enjoy it. (Hmmm, I wonder who the problem was before? Lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stormy. The time together was great for both of us. In fact, I told him I wouldn't mind going with him more if we could work around our daughter.

      Delete
  6. This is great Dana, sounds like a wonderful day of togetherness, even though working, and you didn't get into any trouble - yay!

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. It really was a wonderful day, despite working and the weather.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.