Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Migraine That Made a Rule

As most of you know, I suffer from migraines. I take a daily preventative medication, but still get one every month or so. I have Imitex for those times.

I woke up yesterday morning with a headache. It steadily worsened through the morning so I laid down around lunchtime in the hopes that a nap would ease it. I set my alarm so I'd be up in time to pick up our daughter and then fell fast asleep.

The next thing I knew my phone is ringing and I saw it was my daughter's school. I had a brief moment of panic that something might be wrong, only to find out they were calling because school was out and I hadn't picked up my daughter. I told them I was on my way and they said she would be in afterschool care until I arrived.

I threw on my shoes and ran out the door, but it was still 3:30 before I arrived to pick her up. It cost me $9 because she went to afterschool care. Nine freaking dollars for them to watch her for half an hour.

I have to admit it crossed my mind to tell our daughter not to tell Steve. But then I remembered the last time I did that and how bad I felt about what I was teaching her so I kept my mouth shut. When we got home, I got her settled and then I called Steve to confess.

While he was understanding about the migraine, he wasn't too pleased about the fact that I had overslept to the point that I didn't pick our daughter up on time, which cost us money. He put the blame not on my migraine, but on my night owl habits. Then he made the ominous statement that he was going to fix that.

As much as I hate to admit it, he's probably right about my sleeping habits. I'm a night owl and rarely go to bed before 1 am. I'm usually up at 7 to get our daughter off to school. More often than not I'm tired when I get up and I occasionally will go back to bed once I have the house to myself.

When we went to bed last night, I was a bit nervous about how he planned to fix my sleep habits. It wasn't long before I found out. He said from now on he wants me in bed no later than 11 pm. Then he took away any wiggle room by making it a rule, which makes it a punishable offense.

20 comments:

  1. It seems the bedtime thing is going around at the moment ;)
    I totally understand where you are coming from in this post.

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think there's some secret HoH forum that the guys are hanging out in. First it was daily role affirmation and now it's rules about bedtime.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I just was reading Callie's post about the same thing! Thankfully, Hubby and I go to bed at the same time. I'm more likely to get a rule about getting up in the morning.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually go in with Steve when he lays down, but then get up once he falls asleep. It's a good thing we don't have a morning rule because I'd be toast. I get up during the week because I have to get my daughter to school, but whenever school is out, I sleep as long as he'll let me.

      Delete
  3. I need this rule, Dana. I'm often still up at midnight, with a morning wake-up call of 6a. Ugh. You've given me good for thought. Hope everything works out for tonight's curfew. Good luck!

    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maryanne. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to adjust to this new rule.

      Delete
  4. This was actually my first rule. I was in such desperate need of it even though I hate it so much lol. I hope you have better luck with it than me, I am such a night owl as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mischief. It's hoping to make a smooth transition, but have a feeling I'm going to land in hot water a few times before I make the adjustment.

      Delete
  5. It is a lovely, warm feeling to know that they love us enough to make rules that will help to save us pain, anxiety, and added stress... even when we feel a bit resistant at first.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. I do love that he cares enough to want to make sure I'm getting enough rest.

      Delete
  6. I have an "off the internet by 8:30 am" rule on days I work. Its a struggle to follow but when I do is a big help!! Wishing you luck ;)

    Hugs,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far Steve hasn't messed with my internet, although he once threatened to take the modem to work with him.

      Delete
  7. We have a rule: computers shut down before 22:30. It's a punishable offence if broken, and the events log on the computer tells when the Logoff button has been clicked. Since the first and last infraction, about two weeks ago, it hasn't been broken. Punishment works (Rose hates punishment, however mild.) I think it's a really good rule , very beneficial and I am thinking of extending it to TV just in case, though we watch very little TV. It means we are probably in bed by 23:00.

    From what you say, I think such a rule is essential for you and will make a real difference to your life. Hope you embrace it willingly, Dana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to embrace it Malcolm. I went last night without Steve prompting me so that's progress.

      Delete
  8. OH! I JUST got the SAME RULE! Like literally today because I stayed up until 12:30 last night and had a migraine today. Same rule, same time for bed for the same reason (well the migraine part)... was Steve talking to the Duke by any chance? ;) I am sorry you too have the same rule, though, hopefully it will help us both out. I'll let you know in a week or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Es May! Not you too. There's definitely something going on with the HoHs lately. They're too much in tune with each other.

      Delete
  9. Goodness Dana and Es May, the same rule on the same day - scary! I'm wondering if our HoH's have some kind of telepathy (another scary thought!).

    I can entirely relate to this post. I too am a terrible night owl and have to get up early for work in the mornings. I don't have a bedtime as such, but Rick has to 'tell' me to go to bed most nights, even nights when he is away he will text to tell me.

    Good luck with the new rule. I'm sure you will find it beneficial. Hopefully too, if you can get into better sleeping patterns it may also help the migraines.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve has occasionally told me to go to bed before, but this is the first time he made it a rule. I'm trying to be cooperative and even went to the bedroom before 11 last night on my own.

      Delete
  10. That sucks that you had to pay them 9 dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dana,

    I'm sorry that you suffer with migraines. I can see how easy it would be to sleep through if you are not feeling well. I hope that the new rule does help with your migraines, even if it seems tough!

    Rob doesn't have a bedtime rule per say, but he has taken to sending me to bed every night, whenever he decides it is time. Often it can be 9p or 9:30, and it is almost always by 10. If something is going on he will adjust, but most of the time I have to head up for bed. I don't like it but the funny thing is, I usually go right to sleep. Guess that he just knows that I need it. Bet Steve knows that for you now! :) I hope that it helps! :) Hugs!

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.