Saturday, May 4, 2013

Not Quite What I Imagined

As our anniversary approached, I began making plans in my head. Since it fell during the week this year, I figured we probably wouldn't be able to do something on the actual day so I made arrangements for our daughter to go to her grandparents' house the weekend before our anniversary. I figured we'd exchange cards, go out for a nice dinner, do a little shopping at the adult store and then come home for a couple hours of playtime before we had to pick our daughter up.

That's not quite what happened. A raging toothache started a couple nights before our planned date. Steve was very sweet about it, taking over for me whenever possible so I could rest since the only relief I could get was when I took enough medicine to knock myself out. Some major misbehavior by our daughter on the day she was supposed to go to her grandparents' led to her getting grounded. Since I was in so much pain, I didn't even really mind that we were missing out on our evening out.

The toothache steadily worsened as the weekend wore on. By the time our anniversary actually arrived, the whole left side of my face was swollen like a chipmunk and I had taken so much medicine that I made myself sick.

I started trying to find a dentist even though I knew we couldn't really afford it. I called the place I usually go to, only to find out that they were no longer taking adult patients. I called the health department dental clinic because I knew they worked on a sliding scale. Despite multiple calls, I never could get ahold of anyone there.

I started working my way through the dentists listed in the phone book, but none had an opening for at least a week. None would call in pain medication or antibiotics without seeing me either. I called my regular doctor to see if she would prescribe them, but couldn't get through to her so I left a message with her nurse

When Steve returned home from taking our daughter to school, I was in tears. It shocked him because I have a very high tolerance for pain. I didn't even cry while I was in labor with our daughter. I asked him to take over calling because the swelling was making it difficult for people to understand me when I spoke. I forget how he responded, but it irritated me and I snapped at him before leaving the room to lay down with an icepack.

A few minutes later, he came in the bedroom and told me to get up. I thought I was in trouble over snapping at him and I was ready to do battle over it. Instead he told me to hurry up because he'd found a dentist willing to see me right away. While the dentist hadn't said they would pull the tooth, they had promised to do something to make me more comfortable.

Two hours later, I was on my way home with one less tooth, a numb face, a prescription for antibiotics and pain medication and a referral to a traveling free dental clinic for another tooth that wasn't causing me pain, but would need to be repaired in the near future. Steve dropped me off at the house, got me settled with an icepack and left to fill my prescriptions and get me something to eat.

About an hour later, he returned, doled out my medicine and then we sat down to our anniversary lunch. I had hot and sour soup from the local Chinese restaurant (the only thing I want when I don't feel well) and he had fast food.

While it wasn't quite the anniversary I pictured in my mind, I can't say it was necessarily a bad one. Steve has been great through the entire experience. He kept calling until he found a dentist willing to take me right away. He's babied me, fixing my meals, making sure I take my medications on time, taking over my normal duties as far as the household chores and taking care of our daughter, and even getting up in the middle of the night for an icepack when the pain returned and it was too early for another pain pill. Of all our anniversaries, this probably ranks as the one I have felt most loved and cherished.

29 comments:

  1. oh bless him, this is one anniversary you will remember.
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I certainly won't ever forget this one.

      Delete
  2. Glad your tooth pain is better! And glad you got time together even if it wasn't what you expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cole. The timing of it all was actually pretty good as Steve was at a standstill on his current job so he was able to stay home and take care of me for a couple days.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry you were hurting so bad. Sounds like your Steve is being such a sweetie though. Hope all is well now. Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia. He is being very sweet. Even now that I'm starting to feel somewhat better, he's still making sure I get plenty of rest and not rushing me to get back to my normal routine.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to just be able to give in and be looked after. How lovely to have Steve to do that looking after.
    Hope you are feeling better
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie. It was nice getting taken care of since he's normally working when I don't feel well.

      Delete
  5. Awesome guy. So glad he found somebody who would help.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea. I was so grateful that he was persistent in calling. He told me later that he had planned to expand the search to dentists in the towns surrounding us if he didn't find a local one for me.

      Delete
  6. A lot of dentists will take the Care Credit Card. It is mainly used for dental, pet, or cosmetic procedures. You can go online to https://www.gogecapital.com
    If you qualify it really is a lifesaver at times! They don't charge interest the first 6 months so you have that time to pay it off. The minimum payment is usually like $25 per month. Hope the free clinic works out but if not, try this. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. The dentist I saw did offer Care Credit. However, we're trying to avoid applying for any credit products right now since we're hoping to buy a house in the near future.

      Delete
  7. We're supposed to reflect on our relationships and recommit to each other on our anniversaries. It sounds to me like, while it wasn't quite what you planned that you did just that. Loved and cherished is the best gift of all. Happy Anniversary, a little late :)

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. That is the loveliest explanation of what an anniversary is supposed to be that I've ever heard.

      Delete
  8. {{dana}} i'm so sorry about your pain with the tooth, but i loved this post. it shows so much about your sweet husband and how he loves you. as soon as you're able, you gotta find a way to thank him. however, something tell me you probably have already. :) happy anniversary!

    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maryanne. I've been trying to show him how much I appreciated how wonderful he was through all this. I cooked a couple really nice meals for him even though I wasn't eating them myself.

      Delete
  9. I so hope you are now feeling better. Toothache is the pits! But what a wonderful guy your husband is, and so caring! It turned out to be a good anniversary after all, because you found out just how cherished you really are!

    Hugs

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. I am feeling better. Steve really is a wonderful guy. I can't imagine what life would be like if God hadn't brought him into my life.

      Delete
  10. I am certain that one of these days you are going to have a holiday or special occasion that you don't have shingles or a toothache or something!

    I too have a very high tolerance for pain, or so my doctor says, but tooth pain over a prolonged period of time is an entirely different matter!

    Happy Belated Anniversary

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah holidays don't seem to be going too well for me lately Willie.

      My doctor has said the same thing before. Even when it comes to my migraines, I just asked for something to prevent them rather than painkillerss.

      Delete
  11. Dana, I'm so sorry to hear about the tooth pain and hope you are feeling much better now.

    I love this post though. While it wasn't the anniversary you had planned, it will be one you will remember for the love and care you husband provided and making you feel cherished. You have a wonderful loving husband.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. The whole toothache part was sucky, but I loved being pampered and taken care of.

      Delete
  12. Eww, that sounds very unpleasantly painful. I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of and while it didn't turn out quite like you planned it did work out. It's nice to have him take care of you I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great when the guys take care of us. I'm so used to taking care of everyone else that it's a pleasant surprise when I'm the one getting taken care of.

      Delete
  13. Oh, this story just touched my heart. I am so sorry that you were in so much pain, but it was so wonderful that he stepped in. :) And a man that is in love, and worried about his wife can usually be more persistant and forceful than we can! :) So even if you called the same dentist, you might not have been able to get in. And I love how he took care of you. You deserve it. I really hope that the pain is going down now, as well as the infection and swelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Es May. It's a lot better now. I'm still on the antibiotics, but I've made it a couple days without having to take any painkillers.

      Delete
  14. That was really beautiful! Thankfully he didn't spank you for snapping and what a sweet way to end the evening! Nothing like a private in home setting for the most romantic evenings! If that is you two in that pic, you compliment each other very well, and if not, I'm sure you still do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome to my blog PinkRandi. I think he realized the snapping was from the pain rather than actual disrespect, which is why he let it go. Several of our date nights have been at home dates. Sometimes it's nice to just curl up together and talk without others around.

      Delete
  15. glad you was able to take care of it and happy belated annv

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.