Saturday, July 6, 2013

Here We Go Again

I know I've been quiet lately, but don't worry. I haven't disappeared or gave up on DD or this blog. I've just been busy.

If you've been following along here for a while, you know we've had issues with our landlords. That situation took a turn for the worse this week when they showed up without notice with the intention of kicking us out so they can move back in.

I've been in contact with Legal Aid, but thanks to the holiday this week, they can't get us an attorney until next week. In the meantime, the landlords are camped out in our backyard and refusing to leave. The cops refuse to help, saying it's a civil matter, so we're stuck with them until we get an attorney and go to court.

We have a lease and I have no doubt that the court will order the landlords to back off (and get out of the backyard). Steve and I have talked and decided that while we should be able to finish out our lease in peace, it's more trouble than it's worth having to deal with the landlords and their shenanigans. At this point, we're agreeable to ending the lease early provided we have time to find something else and we get a little compensation for the trouble.

Steve's parents have graciously offered to cosign a home loan for us. The deal comes with strings. They want final approval of our choice of home and they will only cosign for a house in this area (so no moving away like I want). While my parents aren't in a place where they can offer much on the financial side, they have offered to help in whatever way they can.

Steve has been putting in some long hours at work trying to get us some money built up so I've had to take on pretty much everything else. I've been dealing with the landlords, talking to Legal Aid, researching available properties and getting things organized so I can start packing as soon as we find something.

I'll try to check in when I can, but I'm probably going to be scarce for a bit until we get all this sorted out. Hopefully we'll be able to find the right place soon and I can tell you all about how much we love our new house. 

21 comments:

  1. Oh, Dana, what a mess! Landlords camping out in the yard is awful. I'm surprised the police couldn't/wouldn't do anything about that. I hope you and Steve end up with a solution that makes you happy.

    BTW, loved the Still Got It post in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I was a bit disappointed by the cops myself.

      Delete
  2. This sounds awful. I hope that somehow it all works out in your favor, and that you will find yourselves in a beautiful new home in the end.

    ♥ Cali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, I wouldn't cope. I pray there will be a silver lining and your new house will be wonderful!

    Hugs
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Callie. I'm coping, but barely. My nerves are about shot.

      Delete
  4. Dang Dana...didn't they pull this 'camping in the backyard' nonsense a few months ago? Sending lots of positive energy that you and Steve are able to move to whatever location is best for you. I truly believe that what goes around comes around and even though you may never know it, these 'landlords from h*ll' will reap what they have sown.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cat, this is the same stunt they pulled back in December. The only difference is that last time it was just the landlord and this time he brought his wife, kids, dog and all their stuff so I'm pretty sure they intend to stay.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry that you are having to go through all that. I could not imagine the stress. I can't help but think that in a few years, this will be one of those stories, that wasn't funny at the time but will be in the re-telling. Especially the landlords camping out in the backyard, and the in-laws only cosigning on a house close by. "Everybody Loves Raymond" comes to mind. My daughter was renting from a relative, who separated from her husband. She gave my daughter 3 days to move out. She couldn't get the paperwork together to move to an apartment, because the 3 days included the weekend. She, therefore, moved in with us. What a mess. I'm going to keep you in my prayers until this is all cleared up for you. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. God bless you and yours, Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belle. My father-in-law is very much like Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond. He tries to put his nose into everything. It's been a few days since they offered and already he's adding more conditions to the deal.

      Delete
  6. Good grief, what happened to the decency of people? I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope you can find what you need where you need Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana, I'm so sorry you are going through such a stressful time. I hope this all works out in your favour and that you are able to find a house that is perfect for you.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dana, whatever is the matter with people, how cruel. You are best off out of it, hard though it is at the minute. Good luck with finding somewhere nice to go, hope everything works out soon
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. That's how we're trying to look at it. We just want out of this situation so we don't have to deal with them any more.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear you are having such awful problems. My own daughter and her husband rent their home and I live in dread of anything like this happening to them. I do hope things will soon be resolved and that you will find a home that you not only like, but the location will be favourable too. I am sending hugs and positive thoughts your way.

    Hugs

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. Unfortunately there are some bad landlords. Our last landlord was awesome. As long as the rent arrived on time, we never saw her, but she was quick to make repairs if there was an issue. We're both kicking ourselves for moving out of that house.

      Delete
  10. Wow, that is a lot to take on all at once. I'm sorry that the offer of help comes with strings. I can understand them wanting to make sure you get your money's worth... not so sure it's right to offer if you stay in the area. So sorry about that. {{{HUGS}}} Hoping you're doing okay, and that you won't get overwhelmed with all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Es May. I may have pulled out all my hair by the time we get through this, but we're coping.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, Dana! I am sorry that you have to go through that. Some people just do not get it.

    It is nice to have help from parents who care, but having to be under their wing as far as location, instead of doing what works for you sounds a little tough. I will send warm thoughts your way that things work out the way that you want them to.

    I look forward to hearing that all is well and that you are settled in and happy. Hugs to you,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.