Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Housing Update

Dropping in for a few to give you all an update on our situation. We appreciate the prayers and good thoughts. Please keep them coming.

I've been on the phone with Legal Aid all week. The advocate has been calling me daily since my initial call for help. Yesterday he arranged a phone conference for us with two of the staff attorneys. They're working on getting together all the paperwork needed to move forward, but seem cautiously optimistic. Hopefully it won't be long before the landlords are out of our hair.

On the house-hunting front, we may have found something. We put the word out to friends that we were looking and one of Steve's friends called the other day with a lead, Apparently one of his neighbors, an elderly widow, is wanting to sell her house so she can move out of state to be near her kids. She hasn't even put the house on the market yet so we're the first ones to even get a look at it.

The house is in the same neighborhood we currently live in. On the good side, it's at a price we can afford, on a quiet street so our daughter can ride her bike (we currently live on a heavily traveled main road), has three bedrooms, a decent sized kitchen and a fenced in yard.

And the best part is that she's willing to owner finance, which means we can get it without having to worry about the strings attached to my in-laws' offer to cosign. They've already added more strings to their offer. Their latest one is making it a condition that I have to go back to work. It's not that I mind working, but Steve and I agreed a long time ago that we want one of us home for our daughter. As long as we can afford to live on just his income, we don't plan to change that.

The only bad thing I can say about the house is that it's small, about half the size of our current place. However, that's not a huge issue as there is room on the property to build on. Steve works in construction and several of his friends have offered to help so it wouldn't be too expensive to build on as we'd basically only be paying for materials and beer. We would just have to put part of our stuff into storage until the addition is done.

The owner of the house wanted a few days to think about it and talk things over with her family, but we're supposed to meet with her again later this week. I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up, but I've got my fingers crossed.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I hope that works out for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck to u guys! I hope it works out quickly and easily for u.
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed as well as sending lots of prayers and positive energy and thoughts your way!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for the best! Those "strings" sound terrible

    hugs
    p

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be great! I hope things work out the way the two of you want. Planning an addition sounds fun. I was leafing through old copies of Better Homes & Gardens while waiting at the doctor's office today and so enjoyed seeing various renovations.

    Take care,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying that everything works out well for you guys! Good Luck!

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh have my fingers crossed for you, I don't like the sound of the strings either. I hope everything goes well
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping my fingers crossed for you Dana. I hope it all works out for you and without the strings.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.