Thursday, September 19, 2013

Update on Steve and the Wreck

After keeping Steve in the emergency room for most of the night running tests, the hospital released him to come home this morning. He was more banged up than we thought with some injury to the muscles in his neck and back. He came home with a prescription for pain killers and orders to avoid strenuous activity until they heal, which pretty much means no work since he's in construction.

He got our daughter off to school while I called his boss to tell him the bad news. Then since neither of us got much sleep last night, we crawled back in bed. He slept for most of the day. He hasn't said much since he's been up, but judging by how slow he's moving, he's hurting.

The car he was driving when he got hit (the one he just got me by the way) didn't fare so well either. It damaged the driver's side and front end, as well as busting the windshield. It can be fixed, but it sucks because we just put it on the road. I hadn't even got to drive it yet because he wanted to make sure everything was perfect for me before he handed over the keys.

On top of all this is the financial issue. I've started a claim with the other driver's insurance company (both the witness and the accident report agree it was their fault), but who knows how long that's going to take. In the meantime, we still have bills to pay. Since Steve's the sole provider of our family, it puts us in a mess if he's not able to work.

He's already stressed enough over being injured and having the new car tore up so I didn't want to add any stress by bringing up finances. Either it was on his mind too or my face is easier to read than I thought. About the time that I realized the only solution was to raid our house fund to pay bills until he's back on his feet or I can find a job, he brought up the subject himself.

He said his boss had called asking if he was up to working tomorrow. Needless to say, I was not happy. He knows Steve is injured. I just called this morning and told him what the doctor said.  Once I finished venting my irritation at the utter gall of that jerk, it got worse. Steve told me he'd told him yes, he'll be there in the morning.

I begged and pleaded with him to at least give it a few days before he went back, but he'd already made up his mind. He promised to take it easy and use a helper for any lifting, but it doesn't make me feel any better about it. He's going to be hurting because he won't be able to take anything stronger than Tylenol while he's working. Not to mention, since he's not giving his injuries enough time to heal, there's a possibility he's going to make them worse.

I know where his decision is coming from. He takes his role as provider for our family very seriously and he doesn't want to raid our house fund to provide for us while he's hurt. But if it comes down to him being healthy or having to wait a little longer to get our house, I'd much rather have him healthy. Unfortunately, after letting me have my say, he said his decision was final and he didn't want to hear anything else about it. I just have to pray that he doesn't hurt himself more.

Thank you all for the prayers and kind thoughts. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

12 comments:

  1. (((Hugs))) Dana, sending positive thoughts and prayers your way

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana, :)

    I'm glad that Steve is home and doing a bit better. My prayers continue for a speedy recovery for him.

    This is a tough one. I totally understand how you feel, worrying about him back at work. I think you will just have to trust him on this, even though it's hard. Sending you many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I'm trying, but it hard to stay quiet, especially when I saw how bad he was hurting when he came in last night. I was ready to strangle his boss when I found out that he wouldn't give Steve a helper so he had to unload an entire truck by himself.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks for stopping by Misty.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, Dana, ill say a few prayers this week for his healing and your love and words and energy and calm for the days ahead. I'm glad he's ok and the injuries were not worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been on the computer for a couple of days, so I didn't know to pray before, but I certainly will now. I will pray for quick and complete healing. Insurance company will contact him soon, because they will want to make a quick offer so that he won't have built up so much debt before hand. Y'all be patient, and make sure that you don't accept something, until you absolutely know that he will be ok. The payment for the car can be done separate. I'm a nurse. Sometimes the littlist of accidents can be very expensive in the long run, depending on how his muscles heal. I will be praying that he's back to health soon. God bless you and all you love, Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belle. So far we haven't heard a peep out of the insurance company, unless the certified letter we got a notice about is from them. Steve went to pick it up this morning so we'll see. Unless they really surprise us, we already plan on turning down the first offer.

      It hasn't been quite a week yet, but he's still feeling pretty rough. His back is still hurting and he's having daily headaches. If he doesn't start showing some improvement soon, I'm going to get him checked out again. Our local hospital isn't the greatest (they nearly got shut down a few years ago because of major errors in medical care) so I'm not too confident that they didn't miss something. If I have to take him back, I'm taking him to a hospital in a neighboring town.

      In the meantime, we're keeping detailed records of everything related to the wreck. I bought a notebook so he can record how he feels day to day and its effect on his daily activites. I also have a file with the medical records, accident report, statement from the witness, estimates from the body shop, etc.

      Delete
  6. I am just reading these posts now, I am sorry I am so behind. I will be praying for him, for his health and safety as he goes back to work, and for you to have peace of mind. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.