After keeping Steve in the emergency room for most of the night running tests, the hospital released him to come home this morning. He was more banged up than we thought with some injury to the muscles in his neck and back. He came home with a prescription for pain killers and orders to avoid strenuous activity until they heal, which pretty much means no work since he's in construction.
He got our daughter off to school while I called his boss to tell him the bad news. Then since neither of us got much sleep last night, we crawled back in bed. He slept for most of the day. He hasn't said much since he's been up, but judging by how slow he's moving, he's hurting.
The car he was driving when he got hit (the one he just got me by the way) didn't fare so well either. It damaged the driver's side and front end, as well as busting the windshield. It can be fixed, but it sucks because we just put it on the road. I hadn't even got to drive it yet because he wanted to make sure everything was perfect for me before he handed over the keys.
On top of all this is the financial issue. I've started a claim with the other driver's insurance company (both the witness and the accident report agree it was their fault), but who knows how long that's going to take. In the meantime, we still have bills to pay. Since Steve's the sole provider of our family, it puts us in a mess if he's not able to work.
He's already stressed enough over being injured and having the new car tore up so I didn't want to add any stress by bringing up finances. Either it was on his mind too or my face is easier to read than I thought. About the time that I realized the only solution was to raid our house fund to pay bills until he's back on his feet or I can find a job, he brought up the subject himself.
He said his boss had called asking if he was up to working tomorrow. Needless to say, I was not happy. He knows Steve is injured. I just called this morning and told him what the doctor said. Once I finished venting my irritation at the utter gall of that jerk, it got worse. Steve told me he'd told him yes, he'll be there in the morning.
I begged and pleaded with him to at least give it a few days before he went back, but he'd already made up his mind. He promised to take it easy and use a helper for any lifting, but it doesn't make me feel any better about it. He's going to be hurting because he won't be able to take anything stronger than Tylenol while he's working. Not to mention, since he's not giving his injuries enough time to heal, there's a possibility he's going to make them worse.
I know where his decision is coming from. He takes his role as provider for our family very seriously and he doesn't want to raid our house fund to provide for us while he's hurt. But if it comes down to him being healthy or having to wait a little longer to get our house, I'd much rather have him healthy. Unfortunately, after letting me have my say, he said his decision was final and he didn't want to hear anything else about it. I just have to pray that he doesn't hurt himself more.
Thank you all for the prayers and kind thoughts. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.