Monday, February 17, 2014

Alone in the Silence

The house is so quiet today. After having Steve home for two weeks while he didn't have work and our daughter home for a week due to the snow, it's strange having the house to myself again. While they've both drove me crazy at times, I miss them today now that they've gone back to work and school.

It's funny. Normally I like having my alone time during the day. The time I can get things done around the house without being interrupted ten times. The time when I can curl up with a book and relax without someone needing something. The time when I can revel in the silence.

But I miss them both today. I miss Steve being silly. I miss curling up against him while we watch TV in bed. I miss our daughter sitting beside me reading her book while I read mine. I miss her coming to show me some new thing she's found on her game. I even miss the constant noise the two of them make.

I'm reminded of when our daughter first started school. I've been a stay at home mom her entire life and I was used to the constant noise of her chatter, cartoons and toys. After dropping her off at school that very first day, I came home to silence. It was a huge adjustment.

I ended up having to turn the tv on cartoons just to get through that first day. It didn't matter that I wasn't watching it. I just had to have the noise. It took a few weeks before I didn't have to have the tv on to be alone in the house.

I may have to fall back on that tactic again. After having the house bustling with noise these past couple weeks, it's too silent today. Even the dogs are quiet.

18 comments:

  1. OH Dana, I am sorry you feel so alone. But you know what? I loved this post. Because it shows just how much you really notice and appreciate the little things that happen in your life. Those little blessings that so many others would over look. You have let them in and let them touch your heart with joy. :) This post really made me smile. I hope you have a great reconnection time with Steve and your daughter later today. :)

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Es May. I did tell them both how much I missed them once they got home.

      Delete
  2. Dana, honey, I am sorry you are feeling alone and strange, but I can assure you that the time will come when you will breathe a sigh of relief just to have a few quiet hours to yourself.

    I am always amazed that whenever I think I have a bit of spare time, someone, or something comes along to fill it all up.

    Think of your quiet time as golden hours to be luxuriated in, whilst looking forward to your family returning home later on.

    Many hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. It's funny because I was looking forward to them going back so I could have the quiet time, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I know it will take me a few days to get back to usual.

      Delete
  3. Hey Dana...yes, you will find your balance just as you did when your daughter first went to school. You'll have these adjustments throughout as she gets older and I am sure you will cherish the noisy and quiet times for their unique qualities.

    BTW...I usually keep a radio on to keep track of the weather so I'm not totally surprised. ;)

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, I am sorry you were feeling alone. It must feel strange having the place quiet again after the last two weeks. I hope you had a wonderful reconnection and family time with Steve and your daughter when they returned. I am sue you will soon be back to enjoying the quiet time.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. It felt very strange. We did enjoy reconnecting after their day so it worked out okay.

      Delete
  5. It is a strange feeling when the house is so quiet and your used to the noise. It's so nice that you had that time to spend with them and I hope you adjust to the quietness soon.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs! I am sorry you are feeling alone...I am at that stage where the kids are young and I silence sounds delightful! Though I know i would tire of it quickly. Glad you had good time itch your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cole. It seems strange, but that's how it works. When she's around constantly like over summer break or when we have a lot of snow days, I want the silence. But as soon as I get it, I miss the noise.

      Delete
  7. Oh bless, sorry you are having such a hard day. I must admit I love silence. I teach dance so work in a lot of noise and I love the silence indoors. me and my kindle, chores all done, lovely. I suppose with my kids all grown up I have got used to it, when they were little it was very different and as they became two teenage electric guitar players it was always loud here!!
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Thankfully the only music she's interested in is the keyboard we got her. I added a pair of headphones that plug into it within the first week.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about your lonely day! On the bright side, they'll come home and the noise and business will be back soon. We're empty nesters and it's taken a long time to start enjoying that part of life. Hope the day passed quickly for you, cartoons and all!

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I'm sorry you were feeling lonely. It can be nice to enjoy some alone time, but once the quietness starts to settle in, you realize how much you actually miss the noise! Hope you were able to all enjoy time together, once they got home!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.