Tuesday, February 11, 2014

An Unexpected Gift

I had a whole post wrote out and accidentally deleted it a mere minute after posting it. If you saw it and wondered where it went, chalk it up to a blonde moment.

Steve and I don't get a lot of time together. He frequently works six and seven days a week, often well into the evenings. When he isn't working, our daughter wants her time with him or he's busy taking care of things around the house that I can't do.

We try to steal some time for ourselves with date nights once in a while. Rarely, our daughter will spend the night with someone and we'll get a whole night to ourselves. But one on one time for us is in short supply.

This past week has been different. After putting in a major work day last Monday and not getting home until midnight, Steve decided to take the next day off. Then all of a sudden, his boss didn't have any work for him so he's been home ever since.

At first, I was too wound up to really enjoy having him home with me. As the one who manages our household bills, I was worried about the effect this time off was going to have on our budget. But then our tax refund arrived earlier than expected and I could finally relax and enjoy our time because I knew the bills could still get paid.

Each morning, I've got our daughter off to school and then crawled back in bed to snuggle with Steve. Some mornings we'd go back to sleep. Other mornings, we'd curl up together under the blankets and watch one of our favorite shows.

Later, we'd have a leisurely breakfast (or lunch if we decided to sleep in). Then we'd spend the rest of the day together talking, taking care of things around the house or just enjoying each other's company. After our daughter got off the bus in the afternoons, one of us would supervise her homework then we'd spend the rest of the day as a family. This week we've even got a couple full days together as a family thanks to school being called off due to the snow. We've played board games, went sledding and built snowmen.

It's been wonderful. All of us have blossomed with the unexpected time together. It's going to be hard to make the adjustment back once Steve goes back to work.

But change is on the horizon. In our talks this past week, we've discussed a lot of things, including Steve's growing dissatisfaction with his job. Now that he's saw the benefits of us being able to spend more time together, not only as a couple but also a family, he wants to keep that going. That means a job that doesn't require him working so much.

He's put in a few applications and we're currently waiting to hear back. Hopefully one of his applications will be successful and he'll be able to work a normal schedule that allows us all time with him.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! Praying for a new job.

    A couPle of snow days? We just had two also. Maybe we are neighbors! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous. I think the kids have had more snow days than actual school days so far this winter.

      Delete
  2. Oh Dana, I really hope that a new job will work out for you guys. :) I loved hearing about your week together, you sound so happy! :) I am also glad that your money came in so that you truly could let go and just enjoy the week without worrying about your finances. That way you could just enjoy your family. :) Can't wait to hear about the applications.

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EsMay. It has been wonderful having him home

      Delete
  3. Hey Dana...So happy you had such a lovely time together. We just came through a bunch of snow and now looking at warming with rain! Going from snow to mud. LOL

    Sending lots of prayers and positive energy that Steve gets a new, awesome job with family friendly hours soon!

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're still getting snow Cat. I've been staying in because I'm a little leery of it after my adventure last winter. Thankfully Steve has been home and has drove me whenever I've had to go out in it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dana, fingers crossed that a new job pops up for Steve, nice to have some time together. We have had no snow here this year but we are drowning in England at the moment. It is terrible here at the minute, the wind and rain is nonstop. good luck
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I'd be happy to share some of my snow. I'm about tired of it.

      Delete
  5. I understand blonde moments, happens all of the time. I'll be praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you both got some much needed quality time together. I hope a new job prospect comes quickly, I'll cross my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.