Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Perfect Class for Us

As you may recall, Steve and I made the decision to go back to college for our degrees. When we selected our classes for this semester, we basically compared the list of courses offered to the list of courses we needed to take for our respective degrees, weeded out the ones that required prerequisites and went from there. Since there is some overlap between degree programs, we ended up taking three of our four classes together. It wasn't until today that it hit me how perfect one of those classes is for us as a DD couple.

Can you guess what that class might be?

If you guessed communication, you would be right. To be exact, the class is Introduction to Interpersonal Communication. According to the syllabus, we will be learning about things such as the communication process, listening, perception, non-verbal communication, conflict and dysfunctional communication, just to name a few.

How perfect is this class for a DD couple? We're always talking about how important communication is to the relationship. This is our opportunity to learn how to communicate better. I'm curious to see how the class helps us.

In other news, it turns out Steve's schedule change has been postponed. Initially they said it would happen at the end of this month. Now they're saying it's the end of next month. I'm trying to just take it one day at a time. If I think too much about how much longer we're going to have to deal with a lack of alone time, I'll lose my mind.

Thankfully, now that classes have started, my schoolwork is keeping me pretty busy so I don't have a lot of time to think. I understand now why my advisor said he thought I was being ambitious to take this many classes during the summer semester. With the semester being almost half the length of others, classes have to move at a faster pace to cover the same amount of material. Basically we're covering two weeks of work each week.  I do feel bad for Steve, though, as his work keeps him busy enough and now he has all this schoolwork on top of that.

The submission exercises are helping keep me sane through all this. He sent me to the corner again yesterday. Initially I was a little disgruntled about it, but in hindsight, I think it was a good move on his part. The first time I did it because he told me to, but also because I was somewhat curious about it. Having satisfied any curiosity I had with the first trip to the corner, I didn't feel the need to go back there. So when he sent me there again, I had to make a conscious choice to submit. I came away feeling a lot more centered and I think I'm starting to recapture the submissive spirit I had before his schedule went crazy.


9 comments:

  1. Hey Dana...that would be awesome if all couples DD or TTWD or M/s or D/s or vanilla were able to take a communication course like that prior to marriage. And if not prior, as soon as possible.

    Sorry that Steve's schedule change has been delayed...that sucks. Hang in there...happy the submission exercises are helping you. Are they helping Steve also? Sending lots of positive thoughts.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. Hopefully by the time the semester is over, we will both have passed with flying colors and have improved our communication skills.

      So far the submission exercises seem to be helping both of us. I know before we started them, he was feeling a bit guilty about DD basically disappearing so this gives him a way to keep things going even while he's at work. And now that we've tried some alternatives to simply lecturing or spanking, he has more options if the need for a punishment arises.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dana, the communication course sounds perfect and something all couples could benefit from. How funny you ended up with the same classes.

    sorry Strve's schedule change has been delayed and glad the submission exercises are helping. Had to laugh at your comment that you didn't feel the need to go to the corner a second time:)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, thankfully it appears that general education core is quite similar between degree programs so we'll be able to share a few more classes before we get to the degree-specific ones. We benefit because we can study together. Not to mention, being able to share a book cut our costs substantially.

      One trip to the corner was enough. My curiosity was satisfied. No need to return. At least that's what I keep telling Steve.

      Delete
  3. That is so awesome that you are taking classes with your husband! That would be a great thing for any couple to do, even if they aren't going for a degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn, it is nice to be doing something together, especially since don't seem to be getting much time lately.

      Delete
  4. We never stop learning, Dana. I did my Masters' Degree when well into my fifties and found it not only great fun, but I made lots of new friends who had also decided to return to their studies. I think you are brave studying with your husband though, because my husband is very competitive and it would do my head in! I lectured in communication skills for many years when I worked at a college, and it was great fun getting people to communicate without 'speaking'. I still find myself studying other people's body language after all these years, even when watching TV.

    I shall certainly 'cheer' you on in your endeavours!

    Hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. Part of the reason I chose to go back to school was to show our daughter that it's never too late to get an education. I have to admit I was surprised when Steve decided to join me, but I'm also very proud of him. He's been out of school a lot longer than me and holds down a full-time job so it's a pretty big thing for him to go back now.

      While we can get competitive about some things, we're not about our studies. I think it's because we both want to see each other succeed. Plus I think he knows I'd win because I have more free time to study than he does.

      I was a little overwhelmed with the communication class at first, but now I'm starting to really like it. This is only our second week in the class and already I've learned a lot.

      Delete
  5. It does sound like the perfect class, Dana! How cool that the two of you are taking so many classes together right now. And it sounds like the submission exercises are working nicely too. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.