Sunday, July 20, 2014

Communication


As you know, Steve and I took a class on communication this summer. When we started, my plan was to share some of what we were learning as we went. That didn't quite work out since I hadn't anticipated how much time I would have to devote to my classes and how that would take me away from blogland.

Now that the semester has come to an end, I have to say that taking this class together was probably one of the most beneficial things we've done for our marriage. We all know that communication is an essential factor in all relationships. Before this class, I thought our communication was pretty good. Now that we've spent the semester learning about communication and applying our learning to our relationship, I can see how far we've come.

Given how important communication is, not only to intimate relationships but all relationships both personal and professional, I highly recommend that everyone take a class on communication. You will be amazed at what you learn and the difference that comes when you apply your new skills.

Since I know that not everyone will be able to take a class like we did, I've decided to start a new feature here on the blog. I'm still working out the details, but I plan to start a series all about communication-what it is, the things we do to interfere with it, the things we can do to improve it. I hope you find this series as helpful to your relationship as the class was to ours.

19 comments:

  1. Yay for completing your class and super yay for finding it so helpful and applying it to your life situation.
    I look forward to your posts on communication.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even managed an A in the class. Yay!

      Delete
  2. Hey Dana...looking forward to your series...I do love learning. ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana, I'm so glad you and Steve got so much out of the class that you can apply to your relationship and look forward to your series.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be so happy that the semester is over! I'm glad that what you have learned has been so helpful, it makes learning so much more interesting. I really look forward to your series on the communication.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how happy I am that the semester is over. With it being the summer semester, it moved at double-time with two weeks worth of work crammed into each week. We took four classes so nearly every minute of free time we had was devoted to school.

      Delete
  5. Reading your title, I was thinking I hadn't seen a post about communication around blogland for a while, so I am glad you took this class and will share with the rest of us.

    I have taken several communication classes but I can imagine how much more intimate and eye opening it would be to do it with DH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a shame that there aren't more posts about communication seeing as how important it is to relationships. I just wish the college offered more communication classes we could take together. The other ones they offer aren't really applicable to us.

      Delete
  6. That sounds wonderful Dana! I would love to take a class like this with my husband-and I am really looking forward to your series! Thanks so much for sharing ; )
    Love,
    Scarlet ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet. If you ever get the chance, I would definitely recommend it. We have benefited so much from this class.

      Delete
  7. Oh Thank you in advance for doing this! Like most people, I feel that Hubby and I are good at communicating, but if we can get better or learn something we didn't know before, I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I'm working on the first post of the series and hope to have it up within the next few days.

      Delete
  8. Can't wait. I love that you took this course together! My husband is a great communicator...me, not so much. I keep trying, and I'm a lot better than I used to be, so I can't wait to see your posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennelle. I've found that we each have our own strengths and weaknesses with communication. When we were doing the required reading assignments for the class, I found myself thinking "That's so Steve." or "Oh crap that's me."

      Delete
  9. That course sounds so enlightening! So happy you two were able to take it together. :) I'm really looking forward to the communication posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenzie. I plan to have the first post up soon.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.