Friday, August 15, 2014

This and That

Boot camp was a very positive experience for us. We had some productive talks. We both worked on issues that needed some work. And we got a much-needed reconnection after drifting somewhat due to Steve working so many hours these past few months.

But I'm surprised to feel somewhat of a letdown now that it's over. Last Friday morning was the end of boot camp for us. That afternoon our daughter arrived back home, along with my sister and her kids.

My sister has been unhappy in her marriage for a while. Several months ago, she had talked about leaving and we had offered to let her and the kids move in with us. After some debate, she decided to stick it out a little longer. Last week, she called asking if our offer was still on the table.She had had enough. So when she arrived on Friday, her intention was to stay.

Needless to say, that put a serious snag in DD for us. Our daughter is still young enough we can work around her, taking care of things after she's down for the night. Working around another adult is a whole different story. So even though I was starting to get wound up from all the stress, there wasn't much we could do about it.

After talking to her husband (and I suspect getting a huge guilt trip over her decision to leave), my sister decided to give him one more chance. She went home and I thought that we could get back to an even keel.

But we didn't. After only a week of Steve's schedule being back to something reasonable, they went back to the crazy hours. So finding time is now an issue again.

On a good note, Steve's supervisor took him to Human Resources this week to start the paperwork to make him a permanent employee. He got the job through a temp agency and he was really sweating it because he had heard that most of the temps are either let go after 90 days or left in temp status instead of being hired on as regular employees.


But they hired him! He has to meet with Human Resources again next week to go through orientation and fill out all the paperwork. He'll be getting a bump in pay and full benefits. The health insurance doesn't kick in until he's been an employee for a month, but it couldn't have come at a better time because I'm nearly out of my migraine medicine and at $10 a pill, we can't afford it otherwise.

11 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love that happy dance.
    I have enjoyed reading about your version of boot camp. It has always seemed a little scary to me but although I'm sure yours was hard, somehow you made it seem more attainable, or at least less scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janey. Boot camp always seemed like a scary thing for me too, including the day we actually started. I even told Steve I was nervous about it. But all the talking we did leading up to it definitely helped us create the boot camp that worked for us.

      Delete
  2. You sound like a very caring sister to take yours in, Dana. :). I'm glad for you that she is giving her relationship another chance, and that you will have an opportunity to expand on your completed boot camp perhaps, with do-able privacy now.

    Wonderful news about Steve's job situation! I'm happy for you both. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I'm the oldest and she's the baby so I've been looking after her since the day she was born. Steve has been awesome about it all too. My middle sister and her kids stayed with us for a couple months a few years ago so I wasn't sure how he would take doing it again with my other sister, but he was great. I didn't even have to ask if it was okay. He was already suggesting we let her move in.

      Delete
  3. Congrats about Steve's job, that's awesome!! I'm sorry you post boot camp rhythm got thrown off...that's life for ya, but it sounds like you're a great sister. I hope you get some privacy soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely life, but we're learning to roll with the punches. Eventually we will get some time.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dana, I'm glad bootcamp was such a positive experience for you both. I can understand you feeling a little let down after DD having such a focus.

    That was wonderful of you and Steve to take in your sister and kids. I hope she manages to work things through with her husband.

    So happy to hear about Steve's job. That is fantastic news!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I'm not sure if it's going to work out for my sister and her husband. She had only been home two days when she called saying she thought she made a mistake in going back. Apparently all the sweet gestures and promised changes had already disappeared.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to Steve on getting hired on as a full time employee! That speaks very well of him. Sorry you are having trouble finding time together...that does suck doesn't it but I have faith in you two. You are a lovely sister to be willing to house your sister and her children...maybe she and her husband need to attend counseling...possibly DD? ;) Sending lots of prayers and positive energy.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. We'll get through this just like we always do. It's just frustrating after spending so much time together during boot camp.

      I don't know if counseling would work for my sister and her husband. I wouldn't even suggest DD because a lot of their problem stems from his lack of maturity.

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm so glad for you both! Job stuff can be so stressful and I hope knowing that things are going to be a little calmer will help keep the headaches in check for the next month or so.

    I think I missed your boot camp posts while away, but I really do understand the disconnect from having a lot of time together to going back to "normal" life where it seems like there's not much more than a few minutes before falling into bed.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.