Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Kind of Man He Is

All this lately has got me thinking. I wonder if outsiders would so quick to judge our relationship if they truly knew the kind of men Steve and other HoHs are. So I'm going to tell you a little bit about the kind of man Steve is.

When I got a really bad toothache the weekend before our anniversary and had to cancel our plans, he didn't complain. Instead, first thing Monday morning, he started working the phones to find a dentist that could get me in that day. He badgered them into taking me in as soon as we could get there so I didn't have to be in pain any longer. Then he pampered me for the rest of the day.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

A few weeks ago, we had to rehome one of our dogs, one of my favorites. I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't expect giving her up to hurt so bad. I mostly kept it together while giving her to her new family, but I fell completely apart once we got home. When Steve saw how upset I was, he offered to go get her back for me. Mind you, the family that now has her lives over an hour away and he would somehow have to convince them to give back the dog we had just gave them.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

Last year, I got caught in a snowstorm while visiting my family and ended up spinning out in the snow when I tried to drive home. Rather than risk me getting back in the car on icy roads to try to find a motel for the night, he drove three hours through the snow in the dark to come get me. Then when the snow cleared a couple days later, he went back to get my car for me.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

When I was pregnant with our daughter, we lived about 15 minutes outside of town. I craved two things when I was pregnant-strawberries and a particular menu item at a restaurant in town. It never failed that a craving for that restaurant menu item would strike just before they were due to close and about the time Steve was ready for bed. But he never complained. He just jumped in the car and went to get it for me every single time.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

Last weekend, I babysat my sister's kids so she could go out of town. Between trying to take care of the kids, one of which got sick shortly after being dropped off, and not getting much sleep because of a major assignment for one of my classes, I was a bit frazzled. So Steve offered to go pick up some pizza for dinner AND take all three kids with him while he did it so I could have a few minutes to myself. I don't think he fully understood the challenges of taking three kids anywhere by yourself, but he was willing to do it.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

When we were dating, I once made an offhand comment about how I thought it would be neat to get a bouquet of roses that had one of every color. When our first wedding anniversary rolled around, he let me sleep in that morning while he drove to every florist in the county to get me my roses. This from a man that usually can't remember what he had for supper the night before.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

Our daughter didn't like to sleep so I spent most of her first year in a sleep-deprived haze. One day she actually decided to take a nap so I joined her. A friend of Steve's was working on the mountain that overlooks where our house was. When he saw smoke near our house, he called Steve to let him know. Since I was asleep and didn't hear the phone when Steve called, he dropped everything, jumped in his truck and sped home. The road was closed to traffic when he got close so he left his truck sitting in the middle of the road and ran the rest of the way to make sure we were safe.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

When my grandmother was in her final days, he drove all night to get me there to see her. He did it on no sleep after he'd already put in a full day of work. And a week later, he did it again so I could attend the funeral.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

Every time I'm sick, he makes a trip to the local restaurant to pick up the soup I like when I don't feel good. He's gave up things he wanted (and sometimes needed) when we haven't had the money to spare. He's even borrowed money before when we've been broke just to make sure I got my soup.

Because that's the kind of man he is.

When I think about other (non-DD) couples I know, I can only think of a few husbands that would do some of these things that Steve has done. I can't think of a single one that would do all of these things. But I can just about bet that you girls can tell these same stories and others like them.

Because that's the kind of men our HoHs are.

14 comments:

  1. Dana, this is such a lovely post and tribute to Steve, really made me smile :) what a wonderful, loving and attentive husband :) I remember reading about the toothache and snowstorm.

    I'm so sorry to hear you had to re home one of your dogs.

    ((Hugs))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. It just about killed me to rehome that dog. I've had her since the day she was born. I even played midwife at her birth. But she was getting territorial with our other females and it was causing fights. Instead of keeping her penned up by herself (which she hated), I chose to find her a new home where she's the only female.

      Delete
  2. Steve is a wonderful man. Your post made me get all teary and I got goose bumps. There is not a lot of women, I know, that can say these kind of things about their husband. And there are even fewer who appreciate the kind things that their husbands do, it is just expected. I hope that Steve reads this and that he feels the love you put into this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blondie. He may drive me crazy at times, but he's an amazing man and I can't imagine my life without him in it.

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful! A few things reminded me of Colin, and how such a huge part of DD is about the love, affection, and care, husbands give to their wives. It's not all about spanking. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenzie. That's the exact point I was wanting to make. So many people outside DD only focus on the spankings. They don't realize that the spanking is a very small part of this.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tribute to an awesome husband, Dana! My ex (before he went wacko) and my Matthew both had similar characteristics. You are a very lucky lady...of course, he is a very lucky man to have you also. ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-)Dana.. This so made me smile. One year for Christmas when we didn't have money for gifts, I wrote a letter to my husband titled "I remember when" this attribute was reflecting on all the things he has given me over our lifetime together, monetary or otherwise. It softened my heart and touched him to know that I do remember all that he does for me so unselfisly. Our men are good, we are both blessed. Thank you for sharing this side of your life. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!

    In a world over populated with "adult" boys you managed to marry a man. My hat is off to you Steve for displaying the true meaning of HOH.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a beautiful post, thank you for sharing.

    I was sorry to hear that you had to rehome your dog. While it was hard for you, it was a strong and loving act by you for all your dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goal as a HoH is to approach the level that Steve is at. I particularly enjoyed the flowers, but all the little things he does or did are great. Jon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is late, but I was totally moved to tears by this post & just had to say thank you for sharing-this is a beautiful post!
    Love,
    Scarlet ; )

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.