Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Workout

Since we all like to keep in shape, I thought I'd share a new workout that I recently learned. I already had everything needed for it, but you might have to pick up a few things to do it. It will work every muscle you have. The great thing about this workout is that it's spontaneous. You don't plan for it. It just happens.

Are you ready?

Ok now you take one big, muscular dog with a knack for slipping his collar.


Wait for him to perform his trick, which will no doubt occur when the little dogs are out in the yard. You can usually tell this exercise has begun by the high pitched barks.



Spend five minutes chasing down all the little dogs so they're out of the way while you deal with the big one. This part is critical because it gets your heart rate up. They will help by waiting until you're close enough to grab them before darting away.


Once all the little ones are stowed away, head back out to corral the big dog. By this time, he's found a good hiding spot so you'll spend some time searching. If you want to work out your brain, try to figure out how a 125 dog can hide in an open yard so well.

Find big dog when he appears out of nowhere and tries to jump in your arms because for some reason, he thinks he's still the size of a puppy. Your core really gets a workout as you attempt to stay on your feet and avoid falling in the mud.

Struggle to get new collar on him while he licks you and rubs his head against you.

Attempt to lead him over to the chain to attach the collar.

Chase him around the yard when he figures out what you're up to and breaks free.

Try to open stubborn hook on chain with one hand while firmly gripping the dog's collar with the other to keep him from starting a new round of hide and seek.

Fail miserably at holding onto him one-handed. Let him go while you keep working on hook that apparently requires superhuman strength to work.

Give up on the hook and decide to just slip old collar that's still attached to the chain back over his head. After all, it came off by slipping over his head so it shouldn't be that difficult to get it back on the same way.

Participate in another round of hide and seek that ends when he once again appears out of nowhere to leap into your arms.

Stagger back to chain while giving dog a full body hug to keep him from escaping again.

Attempt to slip old collar back over his head while he alternately licks you and tries to escape. Congratulate yourself when you finally succeed ten minutes later.

Do a few quick jumps when he decides to try a new game. This one consists of him winding the chain around your ankle before taking off for the opposite side of the yard at a rapid pace.

Wait for the perfect moment to run back in the house.

If you're not too exhausted to think, wonder why this only happens when your husband is at work.

Congratulations! You've completed the workout.




13 comments:

  1. ROFLMBO Dana! Have had similar situations in the past when my babies were still with us. I found that holding the dog between my legs gave me both hands to work with. That gives you a really good thigh workout. ;) Thanks for sharing your workout. ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thought it was great fun. I, on the other hand, can barely move today. I ache in muscles I didn't even know I had.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow!! That is a better workout than you can get at the gym.

    And you're keeping the dog, right? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely keeping the dog. This makes three times in the last two weeks he's pulled this trick. I think it's because his old collar was getting worn making it easier to slip out of. Hopefully now that we have a new one on him, he won't be able to slip it.

      Delete
  3. LoL Dana, wow, that is some workout! ... and free :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the most intense workout I've ever done, that's for sure. I've done insanity and it was tame compared to this.

      Delete
  4. Not my type of work out at all. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine either, especially since it seems to get repeated a couple times a week. He's slipped the collar twice already today, but thankfully Steve is home to deal with him.

      Delete
  5. I've done all but the little dog part of that workout + added a very large black dog that was stupid and crazy but really sweet once you got to know him. He scared the neighborhood. We finally had to get him a very large strong choke collar just to keep him on the chain. Before the hate mail floods in, he was an indoor dog & only on the chain when he needed to go out.

    Go take a hot bubble bath - you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a sweet dog, but he's a pit so people tend to be wary of him. We thought the problem was his collar starting to wear so I bought him a new one, but apparently that wasn't the issue. I'd prefer to avoid a choke collar if at all possible so I guess I'll be researching other options. It doesn't help that the local stores tend to carry stuff for smaller breeds, but not big ones. I had to go to two stores just to find a collar for him and the one I got was the only collar they carried in his size.

      Delete
  6. I have nothing against choke/training collars when used correctly. ..but couldn't leave without saying that a dog CANNOT be left unattended with one.. (there have been instances where dog accidently strangles himself)...& pls know that the person who suggested it does NOT appear to have done this :)...I just needed to give warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you anon. We definitely want to be careful. I couldn't live with myself if I inadvertently hurt him. I'm not a fan of choke collars myself so we're looking into other options like switching to a limited-slip collar or adding a harness for extra control. But like I said in my previous comment, finding those items is a little difficult because of local stores don't harry a lot of stuff for larger breeds.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh! Sounds like one tough workout! ;)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.