Monday, April 20, 2015

Ask, Don't Dictate

The last few weeks have been a bit hectic. When I sent my daughter off for the week, my plan was not only for time alone with Steve, but also time for me to be able to work uninterrupted on schoolwork. The semester is nearly at an end and I have a couple big projects to finish up, as well as studying for finals. Needless to say, her early return home put a kink in that plan. So I have been scrambling to get everything done in time while working around her.

On top of all this is the house-hunting aspect. I never realized how much work goes into buying a house. There was a ton of paperwork for putting our offer in. Then the seller countered our offer so I spent nearly a whole day negotiating (Steve was at work) to find a number we could all live with. Then we had to redo the offer paperwork to reflect the number we finally settled at.

That's just the house. I'm also gathering all the paperwork for our mortgage and calling around to get quotes on title insurance, homeowners insurance, a lawyer for the closing, someone to do the inspection and probably a few more things that I can't think of right now.

In the midst of all this, I'm also going through stuff and packing. Our lease is up later this year so whether we get into a house of our own or not, we have to be ready to move because there's no way they will let us stay once the lease runs out.

Needless to say, I'm struggling to stay on top of everything and stressed to the max. I was up late last night studying for the two finals I had to do today. I completely forgot about the dishes until I was on my way to bed. It's a rule they have to be done before bed, but I was flat wore out. Normally Steve's pretty lenient about letting them slide if I'm busy and if I ask him first, but he was already asleep so I took a chance and left them. He noticed this morning, but let it go because he knows how busy I am right now.

Today was crazy. I had two finals, a quiz, a discussion and a huge project that were due. I was ready to pull my hair out, but I managed to get it all done. Then I had to scan and upload some more paperwork for our mortgage application. Once again, I was wore flat out, which is probably why I made a critical mistake.

Instead of asking Steve if it was okay for me to leave the dishes another night, I told him that I was leaving them. His response of "Do you want a spanking?" made it clear that I had crossed the line. I did apologize, but not without receiving a warning that in the future I should be sure to ask, not dictate.

I think I will take him up on that spanking though. Even though he let me off with a warning so I'm not in trouble, I need some stress relief.

11 comments:

  1. Wow Dana, you have so much going on and house buying alone is stressful enough without everything else on your plate as well. I hope the finals went ok.

    I'm glad Steve was lenient under the circumstances but please do heed his warning. Sounds as though some stress relief may be a good idea.

    Sending positive thoughts and wishing you the best with the house. Hope it all goes smoothly.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I got a 92 on one final. I don't know what I got on the other one because it's an essay and the instructor has to grade it. I still have one to go and I'm dreading it because it's for the math class that has drove me bonkers all semester.

      Delete
  2. Dana, I hope the Semester is over soon for you. You sound extremely busy! I hope the stress level dies down a little and good luck with the house. Fingers crossed for you!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennelle. There's 2 more weeks left of the semester and I am counting the days. I'm taking the summer off to deal with moving.

      Delete
  3. Oy you are a busy one. Is this THE house you wanted? If so, it'll all be worth it in the long run. It's a lot of work to plant those roots but sounds like you have it all under control.

    I've also made the mistake of telling and not asking. He always replies with "you asking or telling?" I know then the line was crossed. It all works out in the end (pun intended).

    Good luck keeping all the balls in the air. I hope everything with the house goes as planned and you make outstanding grades in school!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is THE house Erika. I haven't heard any different so I guess we're still waiting to find out if the other people sell their house in time. The mortgage company we're going through asks for a ton of paperwork up front. It's how they're able to process the majority of their loans within a week or two. Even though it means a lot more work now, I don't mind it too much because it means we'll be in our house fast once we get past the inspection and appraisal.

      Delete
  4. Tori,

    I hate trying to juggle being a wife, stepmother, life, and college. It wore me out. Here's to hoping you get a relaxing break soon!

    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. It's definitely a balancing act.

      Delete
  5. You sure do have your plate full Dana. Sending lots of positive energy your way.

    Hugs and blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. Thankfully the semester is nearly over so I'll be able to focus more time towards the house. Although I started packing two months ago, mainly stuff we don't use all the time, there's still a ton of packing yet to do.

      Delete
  6. Hi Dana, :) Good luck with all of your exams/final projects. I remember it well- busy, busy!!! Especially when you have a family. You can do it! Home stretch!

    If you need a little stress relief you can ask Steve. It's better than it all coming out sideways... Glad that he gave you a warning with the dishes.

    Good luck with all of your house stuff too. Hang in there. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.