Sunday, August 9, 2015

Catching Up

It seems like ages since I've written here. It's been a long summer.

We are finally settling in to our new house. The moving process took a lot longer than we had anticipated. Murphy's Law struck with a vengeance. Friends offered to help us with moving then failed to show up as promised. It was really frustrating, especially since one couple in particular we've helped move twice in the last year. They're talking about moving again and Steve and I have already decided that they're on their own if they do. It rained most days, which severely limited what we could move. If it didn't fit in the cars, we couldn't move it. Then it was a mad rush to get the big stuff moved on the rare day it wasn't raining.

The hot water heater went on the fritz. It took a few days, but Steve was able to get it working without having to buy a brand new one.  Then a malfunctioning toilet combined with a clogged pipe to flood the bathroom, which in turn dripped down and soaked a lot of the stuff we had stored in the basement. So we had to relocate a bunch of stuff to get to the mess, clean it all up and replace the toilet.

A week later, it happened again, only much worse. We finally ended up having to hire a plumber because Steve wasn't able to fix it. Paying for that visit pretty much wiped out Steve's check for the week. Come to find out, not only was a pipe clogged, but there are roots growing into the septic. So we're going to have to have him come back out to inspect the septic to see how much damage the roots have done and determine whether it can be repaired or needs to be replaced. Oh the joys of homeownership.

And of course there were the illness and injuries. Skipping meals because we didn't have time to eat, grabbing whatever we could eat on the run when we got too hungry to keep working and not getting enough sleep weakened our immune systems so both of us got sick. I wrenched my shoulder trying to catch myself when I nearly fell out of Steve's truck. His truck sits high so it's difficult for me to get in to begin with, but I was sore and tired after a long day of moving and lost my balance climbing in. Steve nearly broke a finger unloading furniture and I sliced my thumb open.

If all that wasn't enough stress, the landlord continued to be a pain in the ass to the bitter end. They texted early in the month to tell us they were back in town and ask how much longer we were going to be. Then they continued to text and call several times a day throughout the month asking if we were gone yet. Mind you, we were paid through the end of the month and actually had another month left on the lease if we needed more time.

During our final week, they started making prank calls at all hours. On our last day, I went over while Steve was at work to grab a few last items and do a walk through to make sure we didn't forget anything. They had apparently showed up after we left the night before and were camped out in the shed. I was a little nervous about being in the house with them in the backyard, especially since my daughter was with me, so I rounded up one of Steve's friends to go with me. When Steve got off work, he went over to do a final walk through for anything I missed (a good thing since I forgot some pet food that was in the garage) and turn in the keys.

I am so glad we no longer have to deal with those jerks. We've blocked their numbers on our phones and if we see them out and about (we still live in the same town), I plan on heading the other direction. Thankfully, our new house is on the opposite side of town so we will probably not be running into them very often.

Despite all the stress, we managed to make it through the move without really fighting, which is something that we've never been able to do on previous moves. We did have a few snippy moments, mainly towards the end of the move, but they blew over fast. While DD has been on the back burner for now until we got through the move and figure out how it's going to work with more people in the house, I credit it with the difference.

We still have a lot of work ahead of us. We have to build a fence to keep the kids and the dogs away from the road. We have to build a chicken coop. And we have to deal with unpacking all the boxes that are currently stacked in the house, carport and garage. Unfortunately, the majority of the unpacking will be falling on me since school is starting soon and both Steve and my sister will be working. I get to juggle the unpacking, dealing with all the kids and my own schoolwork. Thankfully, the older kids will be in school during the day so I'll only have one at home with me during the day. I guess it will be a little while before life settles down, but at least I can be stressed in my own home, instead of one rented from jackasses like our last landlords.

Despite all the chaos, we're in love with the new house. I grew up out in the country so living in town was stifling for me. Now that we're back out in the country, I feel like I can breathe again. Less traffic, only two neighbors; it's heaven to me. When things get crazy, I can go sit by the creek and let the sound of flowing water carry my stress away. It's a little late to do a garden this year, but it's definitely on the list for next year now that I have the space to do it. The kids are looking forward to the treehouse Steve is going to build them in the spring.

8 comments:

  1. So glad you're in your own home. The joys of home ownership include a never ending list of must do's and maybe someday. One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing feeling to know that when we go to bed at night, it's in our own home, not one rented from someone else. We have a huge list of need to dos, want to dos and would like to do if we can every afford its.

      Delete
  2. Hey Dana...so happy to hear from you. So very happy you are away from the crazy landlords no matter what you have to put up with. Enjoy your new home and the quiet at the creek. Oh and if you run into your ex-landlords, simply look through them and continue on your way. ;)

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. It's such a relief to be away from them. We had had a bad landlord in the past, but that one really took the cake.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dana, oh my, you sure have had a lot on your plate with the move! I'm so glad you are now in your own home and away from the landlords! Enjoy your new home and being in the country :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana, sounds like you have been through a lot with the move and the horrible landlords. Enjoy your new home in the country and the peace sitting by the creek.
    Lindy x

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.