Friday, May 6, 2016

Another Car Accident

It appears our jinx on new cars has continued. As you may recall, Steve bought me a new car a couple years ago. An hour after we got the tag, he got hit by a bus. The settlement from that wreck paid a good chunk of our down payment when we bought our house last year.

Shortly after we found out we had a baby on the way, we decided to upgrade my car. I figured that once I got further along, I'd have trouble getting in and out of the car I had because it sat so low. Plus, it was a 2 door, which would make it a pain to get the baby in and out. So we shopped around and bought one of the smaller SUVs not too long ago.

Yesterday, I got rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight on the way to pick up my daughter from school. Thankfully, the other driver wasn't moving that fast when she hit me so nobody got hurt, although it scared the living daylights out me. The officer that responded freaked out a little when she realized I was pregnant and wanted to call an ambulance, but I felt fine and I'm not a fan of the local hospital so I refused. I did call the baby doctor to ask if he wanted me to come in to get checked out. Once he made sure I felt okay and that my stomach hadn't hit the steering wheel, he said I was fine to just go home as long as I promised to call immediately if anything changed.

Once we got done with all the paperwork and the other driver was issued a ticket, I left to go pick up my daughter from my in-laws. I had called them as soon as I got my car out of the road because I knew there was no way I'd make it to the school in time. Then we headed home.

Needless to say, everyone is freaked out about it. My daughter knew something was up when my in-laws showed up at the school because I always tell her ahead of time if someone else is picking her up. I had hoped to avoid her finding out until I was there, but they ended up having to tell her. Even after she saw for herself that I was fine, she stayed glued to me for the rest of the evening. She was still pretty clingy this morning.

It really bothered Steve because he was at work when it happened so he couldn't be there for me. In fact, if he hadn't been working, I probably wouldn't have been at that stoplight in the first place because he usually picks our daughter up on his days off. Since I knew he'd be upset if I didn't tell him right away, I texted him to let him know what had happened and assure him I was fine. Even with my assurances, he still texted every half hour for the rest of his shift, as well as calling on all his breaks, to make sure I was okay.

He was still asking once he got home from work and he kept a close eye on me the rest of the night. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when we were laying in bed watching TV and he looked over to see me sitting with my hands resting on my stomach. I do it every night because that's when the baby is most active, but he panicked, thinking I was doing it because something was wrong.

Today I have to take my car in for a checkup. While I was able to drive it home after the accident, I noticed a vibration that hadn't been there before. Steve took it for a ride up the road when he got in from work and noticed the vibration as well, but since it was dark and raining, he couldn't really poke around to see what was causing it. Normally, he does all the work on our cars, but since he's working for the next three days and the bill will be paid by the other driver's insurance anyway, he said to take it in to the local shop to get looked at.

10 comments:

  1. The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was how lucky to be so loved. I am sorry about the accident, that really sucks, especially being pregnant. Yet the support that you got, even if it was a little too much, was awesome. Hope your car gets fixed quickly and easily. And I am really glad that you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be loved. They're still both keeping a close eye on me. It turns out my car is fine. The vibration was caused by a minor issue that's easily fixed.

      Delete
  2. Oh Dana, I am sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are okay and things get better on the car front
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I'm a little sore, probably from tensing up, but otherwise okay. The car checked out fine.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dana, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, I'm so glad everyone is ok and that Steve is taking such good care of you. It must have given you both a heck of a shock, especially with baby on the way. So sweet of Steve to keep checking in on you like that.

    I hope the car is sorted quickly and easily too.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. It was definitely scary. I kept thinking how lucky I am that we upgraded my car because I probably would have hit the steering wheel if I'd been in my old one.

      Delete
  4. So glad no one was hurt, that's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relief that we all came away without any injuries.

      Delete
  5. Gosh that would have been scary but the main thing is you weren't hurt. Cars can be repaired but no so people sometimes. Nice how Steve took such good care of you. Take care.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that noone was hurt is what I tried to focus on. The issue with my car turned out to be something minor. Unfortunately, the lady that hit me can't say the same about hers. Her car took quite a bit of damage in the front end and had to be put in the shop for repairs.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.