Saturday, May 28, 2016

First Appointment with the New Midwife

We had our first appointment with the midwife. I went on a cleaning spree the day of the appointment. While Steve and our daughter helped a lot, I wore myself out. Just before she was due to arrive, I took a quick shower and then sat down in the recliner to give my aching back and feet a rest.

As it turns out, I got to rest longer than expected because the midwife got stuck in traffic. She called to apologize and say that they would be arriving late. That's definitely something we'll have to keep in mind once labor begins. She's already an hour away (closer to an hour and a half by the time she gathers her supplies and picks up her assistant). We need to be sure we call her early enough that she has time to get here even if she does hit traffic or we'll be delivering this baby ourselves.

The appointment went well. We visited for a bit and went through the initial paperwork and medical history. Then we moved on to the exam. I'm measuring right on schedule and the baby's heartbeat is nice and strong. The baby even gave the midwife a good kick when she was feeling for its position. Afterwards we chatted some more and then she scheduled our next appointment.

I asked about an ultrasound since we still don't know if this baby is a boy or a girl and I remembered her saying she has an agreement with some local doctors for ultrasounds and blood work. Well it turns out that while she has a couple that will do blood work, the only one that does ultrasounds is the one we just transferred from, which puts us in a kinda awkward spot. I did some googling and it looks like there's a place a few towns over that does elective ultrasounds without a doctor referral so we're just going to go there. They do 3D/4D ultrasounds so we'll probably get a better picture anyway. We're planning on going there this coming week.

I have to say I love how much more relaxed this appointment was in comparison to the ones I had with the former baby doc and even the practice I went to while pregnant with my daughter. Those appointments always felt rushed and focused only on the pregnancy. This one was completely different. It was more like sitting around chatting with some friends about this and that with a little pregnancy stuff thrown in. I'm really glad we made the decision to switch.

I'm a little bummed that Steve missed this appointment. While he had planned to be here for it, he got a call from one of his side job clients in the afternoon. Since we can use the extra money with the baby on the way and he thought he could make it back for at least part of the appointment, I told him to go ahead. The job ended up taking longer than planned and he got home just minutes after the midwife left. Thankfully, our daughter was here with me and I had her record the baby's heartbeat with my phone so he still got to hear it.

The next day I could tell I had overdid it with the cleaning. I could barely move when I woke up because I ached all over. While I had planned to run a bunch of errands and take my daughter for a hair cut, I only made it to the grocery store. If it wasn't for the fact that it was Steve's birthday and I wanted to cook him a nice dinner, I probably would have skipped that.

Apparently something with the birthday dinner didn't agree with me because I woke up today feeling crappy. I wasn't hurting as bad, but I had no energy and my stomach was a little upset. I ended up spending most of the day in bed.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling better. I feel bad because our daughter is out of school now (her last day was the day of our appointment) and I really want to spend as much one on one time with her as I can before the baby arrives. Since Steve is off at least a few days a week, we also have some family outtings planned. We're hoping that it will help make the transition from only child to big sister a little easier for her.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dana, I'm so glad your appointment went well. Sounds like she is a good fit for you. Sorry Steve missed it though.

    Hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself and take it easy. Wishing Steve a belated Happy Birthday!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I'm trying not to be too bummed about him missing the appointment. He was only able to make it 2 appointments with our first and he's been at every one this time around.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dana, hope you feel better soon. I am sure your daughter will love being a big sister. Hpe you have fun together this summer holidays
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana, :) Glad that all is going well with the midwife and your pregnancy too! It all sounds very exciting. The visit sounded very positive, with the exception of Steve having to miss it. So glad that you and your daughter got so much out of that. It is so important to trust in your midwife/feel good about her.

    I'm sorry that you are feeling a little unwell. Hope that rest and relaxation get you up on your feet soon! Feel good! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I'm feeling a bit better today, but decided to take it easy.

      Delete
  4. The last I heard 3D meant a lot of noise and stress for the baby. Since your midwife sounds good, maybe ask her about it. The doctor my friend went to made one against her wishes (she didn't want the noise for her baby) because of course he could charge more for 3D...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. I hadn't heard that, but will definitely look into it. The place also does traditional 2D ultrasounds so we may just do that to be on the safe side.

      Delete
  5. Hey Dana...so happy the meeting with your midwife went well. Now please settle down and take care of you and your baby. Am betting your daughter will be happy just to spend time at home with you. I'm glad Anon above said something about the 3D ultrasound as I had heard the same thing...who knows, it could just be internet gossip but sure would check prior to having it done. Hope you are feeling better. Sending lots of prayers and positive energy for all of yo.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.