Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Search Continues

We hit a snag with our midwife interviews. First, one called to say she had checked her schedule and she was already overbooked for the month I was due so she wouldn't be able to take me on after all. She gave me the names of two other midwives. One was the other midwife we were already planning to meet. The other was a midwife who I'd heard mixed reviews about, which makes me a bit leery.

Then the other midwife we had planned to meet called to say she had just lost her mother unexpectedly and was going on sabbatical, feeling that she wouldn't be able to give a client her full focus and attention while she was grieving. She gave me three names to try. One is the same midwife the other had given me. One was a name I had heard great things about, but didn't put on my initial list because she's 2 hours away and I was hoping to find someone closer.

The third name seemed familiar but I was having trouble placing it. It wasn't until about an hour later that I finally realized why it seemed familiar. I had actually spoken to her about a homebirth way back when we first started trying for a second child. So I gave her a call. She's out of town at the moment, but due back later this week and promised to give me a call once she gets home. I am praying that she will be the right midwife for us.

In other news, my nesting instinct has kicked in already. Despite being barely over the halfway point in my pregnancy, I insisted that we start preparing the room I intend to birth in. Steve spent part of last week emptying out and scrubbing the room from top to bottom before moving in the furniture I wanted (which also got a good cleaning). My daughter and I have been working on decorating.

This weekend, I plan on sanding down the rocking chair I brought back from my grandmother's house after she passed and giving it a fresh paint job. Once that's done, I'll dig out my sewing machine and make some cushions for it. I may whip up a few maternity outfits while I'm at it since there's only one store in town that carries maternity clothing and they're ugly.

The nesting instinct has spread to other areas of the house. I've been doing tons of laundry. I reorganized the fridge in my kitchen and the extra freezer I have in the basement. The pantry is next on my list. I'm gathering up recipes so I can start putting together casseroles and crockpot meals for after the baby comes. Having any dishes in the sink makes me anxious so I've been loading them in the dishwasher as soon as they're dirtied.

I've been on a daily search for cobwebs and dust. As soon as I figure out where the Windex went, I'm cleaning all the windows. Thankfully, the previous owners of our house upgraded the windows so they tilt out for easy cleaning inside and out. I've been eye-balling the dogs for a bath, which I think they know since they've started heading the opposite direction whenever I call them.

Also on my to-do list is my daughter's bedroom and the nursery. While it's driving me crazy to wait, I decided to hold off on them for a couple weeks until my daughter is out of school. That way she can help me, especially since she's touchy about her bedroom.

Even the outside of the house isn't immune. I sent out daughter out yesterday to sweep the carport. I've been digging in the flower beds. I'm trying to talk Steve into renting a pressure washer so we can give the driveway and the outside of the house a good clean. I haven't told him yet but I also want to repaint the shutters and our front door.

4 comments:

  1. LOL Dana..you definitely have early nesting don't ya. Your dogs crack me up! ;) Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed along with sending lots of positive energy that you get the midwife you want.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dana, now I really do wish I could send my dil to you. I hope you find a great midwife soon. I love it when the house is event ready!
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana, sending positive thoughts that you find a midwife you are comfortable with soon. Oh boy, you seriously are nesting aren't you lol.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.