Monday, May 23, 2016

We Now Have Our Midwife!

We interviewed the midwife and her assistant at the end of last week. The interview went great, although it ended up having to be delayed by a couple hours. The midwife was nearly to our house when she got a call from another client who thought she was in labor. Since the other client was 2 months shy of her due date, that had to take precedence over our interview. Thankfully, it turned out she wasn't really in labor so after the midwife got her settled, she was able to come for our interview.

The midwife has tons of experience. She's trained under some big names in midwifery, including one woman whose books are required reading in most midwifery schools. She's been delivering babies longer than I've been alive. The assistant is an EMT. She's had all her own kids at home and is currently training to be a midwife herself.

They answered all of our question with flying colors, including the tough ones about how they deal with specific emergencies. They're very hands off, which is what I want, but have no problem being more hands on if I change my mind later. I feel like I'm in great hands with them and Steve and our daughter both liked them as well.

We talked it over among ourselves and then called to let her know we wanted to hire her. Our first appointment is scheduled later this week.

Then came the tough part, letting the old baby doctor know we were going with someone else. Since I tend to be a non-confrontational person, I had planned on just emailing him, but when he called today to confirm the appointment we were supposed to have this week, I got put on the spot so I had to tell him over the phone. While there are several reasons behind our decision to transfer care, I decided to just give him the simplest and hopefully least offensive one-that I'm just not comfortable with a man attending me. Thankfully he was really nice about it and even said that the midwife we're transferring to is a great one.

Now that we have all that out of the way, I can relax and hopefully enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dana, that is fantastic news, happy for you :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana, that is good news, hope all goes well now
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news Dana. Happy for you all.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Dana! SO happy for all of you. This decision also relieves stress which is great for your pregnancy. Hopefully smooth sailing from here.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. Having this settled is a load off me.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Dana, so you're having a home birth with a mid wife? A lot of my daughters circle have home births. Are you having a water birth? I've seen videos of these and they all look so calm. Better than the bright lights and noises in hospitals.

    Good luck! Hope all your wishes go to plan.

    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy. Yes, we're planning a homebirth with a midwife. I had a hospital birth with our first child and it was not a good experience for me so I'd rather not deliver in a hospital again. We are wanting a waterbirth, but we set up a daybed in case I change my mind once we get to that point.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.