Saturday, June 18, 2016

Third Trimester



The pregnancy is moving right along. I'm now in in the third trimester. It's hard to believe I'm that far along already, although it's definitely evident by looking at me. I have gained very little weight this time around, but I look bigger than I did when I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter. We had a get-together a few days ago and Steve's friend actually asked if I was sure I wasn't having twins (he has twins himself). It was kind of funny because me, Steve and our daughter have all three had dreams that I'm having twins.

We still don't know the gender. I told Steve that I'm beginning to think it's just not meant for us to find out. I called around to the two nearby elective ultrasound places I had found online. One is no longer in business. We hit a snag with the second place. We were all set to schedule their basic gender determination package when the lady told me that it was only available until you're 20 weeks. After that, you have to upgrade to the next package, which includes 3D/4D and costs double. After going round with the lady for close to 20 minutes, she finally said she could do a 2D gender determination, but we'd still have to pay the higher fee. I told her to forget it. I looked online and the only other place that's anywhere close is two hours away.

In the meantime, we're busy preparing for the baby's arrival. We went down to the basement the other week and dug through the bins of baby stuff I had saved from our daughter.  It took a lot longer than we planned because we kept getting caught up in memories and showing our daughter how little she used to be, but I did manage to find some things that will work for a girl or a boy.

Since everyone kept asking what I wanted, I finally set up a baby registry. It was a new experience for us since we didn't do one with our daughter. It ended up taking forever because I'm the type of person that has to research everything before making up my mind. Seriously, it took me two weeks to figure out what car seat I wanted.

I still feel pretty good, although between hormones and warm weather setting in, I'm wilting in the heat. With my daughter, it wasn't as bad because I was pregnant through the winter and had her before the heat of summer set in. This time around I'm going through the heat of the summer. Thankfully Steve rounded up some fans and window A/C units. He has also taken over cooking a couple nights a week so I don't have to deal with the stove as much. When I do cook, I try to double up so we have enough leftovers for another meal.

The baby has been very active lately. He/she turned a flip the other day. While it wasn't the most comfortable sensation, it did have the effect of making my low back pain stop. Apparently, the position the baby was in was causing it.

The kicks are getting a lot stronger now that he/she changed position. I was sitting up in bed yesterday evening reading my Kindle and the baby nearly kicked it off my stomach where I had it resting. Our daughter came in a few minutes later and got to feel a few kicks. Then when I told Steve to feel, the baby quit. He waited a few minutes to see if the kicks would start back up and just as he was giving up and starting to move his hand away, the baby kicked him hard.

In other news, we passed 4 years of DD last week. With everything going on, it slipped by without us even noticing. It's pretty much on the back burner for now aside from the occasional warning or random swat. Even so, I still appreciate the things that linger-the closeness, his attentiveness and even my emotional balance despite the hormones.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dana, wow, third trimester already. Happy all is going well, and that the baby was gracious enough to move and relieve your back pain lol. Sorry to hear about the hassles with the ultrasound though. I bet you had fun going through your daughter's baby gear and that it brought back some lovely memories.

    Congratulations on four years. It's amazing how, although the physical aspects may go on the back burner, many of the other benefits remain.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. It was definitely a relief when the baby moved. I had a lot of back labor with my first and I was beginning to think I was going to have it this time as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you decided against 3D. I'm sorry you still don't know the gender however I think a surprise is nice as well. Glad you are all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. After doing some research, we just weren't comfortable with the idea of 3D.

      Delete
  3. Dana your pregnancy seems to be going so fast. Pity you couldn't fin out the gender but surprises are nice.
    Congratulations on your four years of DD, wonderful.

    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy. I kinda like the idea of being surprised.

      Delete
  4. Wow Dana...doesn't seem possible that you're already starting your third trimester. Think it would be less stressful for you if you just give up on the idea of a sonogram...and the baby is not always turned to where you can see the gender...sweet baby will be here soon. Such sweet memories going through all those baby clothes isn't it. So happy Steve was able to find fans and A/C units for you. You might want to consider what I do a lot in the summer months...and did even more when my boys were still home. Would cook up a large brisket or a couple chickens on the grill or in the crock pot and then use them as a base for meals during the week. I would make a large leaf lettuce/baby spinach salad, adding cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, etc. and then topping with the pre-cooked meat. Filling but cool. If you prefer, you can always warm the meat in the microwave. Congrats on your DD anniversary.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. I'm amazed at how fast this pregnancy is going. It's a little bittersweet too since Steve doesn't want anymore after this so I'm trying to enjoy every minute I have left. As for the ultrasound, I wanted it more to have a picture for the baby's book. We have an earlier ultrasound pic, but the doctor's machine was not the best quality so you can't even really tell what it's supposed to be. While my daughter and I could happily get by with salads with or without the meat, Steve prefers heartier meals. He is working on clearing out the carport so he can set up the grill, though, which will definitely help.

      Delete
  5. Dana,

    Third semester already. Happy your pregnancy is going well.

    Congratulations on your DD anniversary.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.