Friday, June 24, 2016

Those Lovely Hormones

After having a fairly mellow pregnancy up until now, the hormones have struck with a vengeance. I woke up the other morning feeling out of sorts. Both Steve and our daughter asked me several times during the day if I was okay because I was quiet. I told them I was fine, but kept to myself for most of the day.

Later in the evening, I decided to go to the store to pick up a couple things. Steve offered to go for me since it was already dark and he knows my night vision isn't the greatest, but I assured him I'd be fine. As soon as I got in the car, I burst into tears for no reason. I took off anyway, figuring it would blow over in a minute, but ended up turning around and coming back because I was crying so hard I was scared I'd wreck.

As soon as I got back, I went straight for the bathroom to be alone, but Steve and our daughter both followed. I could hear them through the door asking if I was okay and what was wrong, but I was crying too hard to answer. Finally Steve came in and got me calmed down enough that I could say that I didn't even know why I was crying and that it must be hormones.

He led me out to the bedroom and tucked me into bed. Since our daughter was a little freaked out by the whole thing, he explained to her that I was fine and it was completely normal for pregnancy hormones to make mom a little moody. Then he went to the store for me.

The next day I was back to my normal self so I figured it was just a fluke. I was wrong. Yesterday morning I woke up cranky. Within an hour of getting up, I'd snapped at both Steve and our daughter. Then I felt bad about it and cried.

I mentioned it to the midwife at our appointment (mainly because I wanted her to reassure my daughter that it's normal). She was great about it and even shared a couple stories from her own pregnancies. The rest of the appointment went well. Baby's heart sounds good. I'm measuring right on schedule. Since one of my shoulders has been bothering me, I asked about it. The midwife looked at it, said I was carrying a lot of tension in it and my neck, and then showed Steve a few massage techniques that he can do to help me. Even though she just did a short demo to show Steve, it did wonders. As soon as she left, I went to the store to pick up some massage oil.

3 comments:

  1. Hope things settle down for you soon Dana. Those darn pregnancy hormones, don't you love them. LOL! Sending positive calming vibes your way.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana, aww, sorry about the hormones. Glad Steve took such good care of you and so happy to hear all is going well with baby. Hope your shoulder and neck feel better soon.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased that Steve can at least help out with the massages. HE can't do anything about the hormones except wait it out. But at least you both know it's normal.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.