Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Catching Up


The past couple weeks have been rough. First, there was Thanksgiving, the first major family holiday since losing my baby. I should have been showing her off to everyone. Instead, I had people hovering over me to make sure I didn't overdo it (I'm still recovering physically) and asking how I was. To make things worse, I did end up overdoing it a bit and my incision, which had been healing perfectly, started giving me issues. I thought I was going to have to go back to the doctor, but thankfully it settled down, although it's still tender.

Then this week I thought I was finally ready to go through the baby's bag of stuff from the hospital (paperwork, footprints, hat and booties, hospital bracelet, etc). Even though I bought a decorative box to put everything in several weeks ago, I hadn't been able to bring myself to do it so the bag has been sitting on my counter since the day I came home from the hospital. I completely overestimated my readiness. I did manage to finish the task, but I was a total wreck by the time it was done.

My physical recovery has been slow. I'm still pretty sore and have to be very careful about how I move or I'm in pain. I'm still dealing with a lot of fatigue, which isn't helped by the fact I have trouble sleeping and don't rest well when I do sleep. I find myself getting frustrated sometimes because I still need help and can't do everything I want to be doing.

On a good note, I found out a couple days ago that the organization I mentioned a while back now has enough funding to provide services for me. They assigned me a support person and are setting up appointments for counseling, massage therapy and a cleaning service now. If you donated to help make this possible, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's such a relief to know that I'll be able to get the help I need to make it through this. 

After some debate, I decided to go back to college and finish out my degree. I had only two classes left when I took time off to focus on my pregnancy and the baby. I wasn't sure I would be able to focus with how I feel right now, but everyone keeps telling me I need something to keep my mind off things so I went ahead and registered for the coming spring semester. If everything goes well, I'll be graduating in May.

Steve seems to be enjoying his new job. The first week or so was rough because it's very physical work, but now that his body is starting to get used to it, he's doing better. From what he's told me, his coworkers are pretty good. One in particular has taken him under his wing and has been offering him tips on how to make the job a little easier.

The pay and benefits are nice too, although he has to be there 90 days before some of the benefits (like health insurance) kick in. Thankfully, we were able to get approved for Medicaid while he was out of work so we have that in the meantime. I was especially grateful for it when I got the statement from the hospital and saw that it had covered the nearly $35,000 bill for my emergency surgery and hospital stay.

6 comments:

  1. Dana my heart goes out to you and I'm so glad you now have more support available to you. I'm sure it will make a world of difference. I understand the frustration with the physical recovery also, but please do take care of yourself.

    Good on you going back to school, I think it could be really good for you. Glad to hear things are going well for Steve with the new job.

    Continuing to send positive thoughts your way.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana my thoughts are always with you. Take one day at a time and be gentle on yourself. If you need help ask for it. Great news your going back to school and Steves new jobs going well.

    Sending positive vibes your way.

    Hugs Lindy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dana...I am so happy that organization got enough funds to support you. Sorry you're still having such a rough time physically and emotionally. Just remember that healing, especially emotionally, doesn't have a time table so don't expect to be able to handle this by that or do abc by xyz. Be gentle with yourself. Hope everything goes well with your classes. Sending prayers and healing energy.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana,I am so glad that you are able to get some help. I think it is great that you are going to finish your degree too, Hopefully it will give you something to focus on. I hope that the three of you enjoy a peaceful Christmas and Steve's job goes well.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana.. The holidays can be particularly difficult and painful. What you are going through is perfectly normal and expected. You will have good days and bad days in the months ahead. I am glad to hear you are going to receive the much needed support and counseling that you will benefit from. Take things one day at a time and allow yourself to grieve in whatever manner is necessary. Continued prayers for your and your family for peace and comfort during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I haven't been around to comment. But this all sounds really positive. I wish that I could just hug you and take a college class with you. I hope that Christmas will bring you some peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.