Saturday, January 7, 2017

Still Going

I don't want to be one of those bloggers that just up and disappears, but these days I find it hard to put into words what's going on and where my head is at. So I'm going to take advantage of this being a day where I have some words to do a quick update.

I continue to heal physically and emotionally. I have to admit I sometimes get frustrated at how slowly I'm healing. Even though it's been a little over three months, I still have quite a bit of pain and fatigue. I'm also still fighting the cold that started shortly after I got out of the hospital. Even though I told the doctor that I'm prone to upper respiratory infections and was worried it was heading into bronchitis, she refused to give me anything for it so I've been taking over the counter cold medicine and hoping for the best. At least the Nyquil knocks me out so I can sleep. Otherwise, I'm awake for days until I'm exhausted enough that I can sleep.

Emotionally, I still have my ups and downs. Some days are okay; others not so much. Christmas was really hard. Then this week I had a bad day that resulted in a total meltdown. To make a long story short, I got in an argument with Steve, spent some time driving around in my car screaming at the top of my lungs and then returned home to drown him in tears. Thankfully, he understands that it's the grief talking and I'm not myself right now.

I started counseling last month. It has its own ups and downs. I like the freedom of being able to say whatever I want without worrying that I'm going to hurt someone's feelings or stir up their own feelings of grief. Some sessions are really rough though. I had one recently where I was so wrung out emotionally that I came home and went straight to bed. I just couldn't deal with anything else that day.

I was able to find an online grief support group. They have a few chats daily, mostly in the evenings. I've attended a couple so far and found it helpful. I was also surprised to find that there is a Facebook group for women who have had my particular complication (which is a rare one). While not all of the women in the group lost their babies due to it, it's nice to be able to talk to others that have dealt with it, especially when I have questions about the recovery process.

Steve's still enjoying his new job, although he hates the on-call aspect of it. There's been a couple days when he's got a call right after arriving home and he's had to turn around and go right back out. And of the course the middle of the night calls suck as well. Thankfully, it's a rotating schedule so he's only on call two weeks out of the month. The second week isn't as bad because he's not the main on-call person, just the backup.

9 comments:

  1. hi Dana, I am so sorry you are struggling, it is so understandable though. I hope in time you will be able to feel more able to cope with everything. Glad Steve's job is okay, let's hope 2017 is a better year for you all.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana,healing, both physically and mentally takes time. I'm sorry you are struggling and for your bad day, it's great that Steve understood though.

    I glad you are having counselling and even more glad to hear you are connecting with others and gaining support, particularly women who suffered the same complication. Glad to hear Steve's job is going well too.

    I hope things look brighter andbrighter for you both in 2017.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear from you. I truly hope 2017 will be a good year for you. 3 months isn't a lot of time considering what happened to you and I'm glad you're getting support. I also think it's good that you're able to scream (the car really is the best place to so do) and that you're not bottling everthing up.
    Sorry to hear about your cold - I hate when docs don't listen to their patients. After all it's your body and you know what's best for you (at least in these situations you've went through colds countless times before).
    I wonder how your daughter is holding up? Are there people she can talk to? Friends or her grandma?
    Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. It was the first time I actually screamed and I was surprised at how good it felt.

      For the most part, my daughter is doing okay. She tends to keep things to herself, but I have noticed her writing in her journal a lot. We've made sure her teachers and school counselor are aware of the situation in case she wants to talk to them. I've also located a support group and counselor for her, but she said she didn't want to go. Rather than push the issue, I just let her know the option was there if she wanted it and to let me know if she changes her mind.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying. That's good to hear. I wouldn't push her either.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for checking in, Dana...I'm sorry it is taking so long for you to heal physically. Mentally...that is going to be a longer process. You, Steve and your daughter remain in my prayers.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear from you Dana. Sorry you are having your ups and downs but its to be expected under the circumstances. I'm glad you are receiving help both through counselling and face book. Hope they can all help you on you bad days.
    Glad Steve is enjoying his new job, pity about being on call at all hours though.
    You and your family are in my thoughts, Sending positive vibes your way.

    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.