Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Deep Thoughts

I've been debating for a while about taking down this blog. I thought I no longer had anything to offer here. I was wrong.

I started DD with stars in my eyes. I saw all these happy couples who seemed to have it all figured out. They made their relationship a priority. They truly communicated. They were happy. Yes, there was an occasional meeting face down across a knee, but once it was over, all was forgiven and they continued on their merry way.

I wanted that.

I wasn't foolish enough to think that would be us from day 1. Sure there are some who seem to slide seamlessly into DD, but in those cases, I think the tendencies towards leadership and submission were already there. DD just put a structure around it.

We stumbled around a bit at first, mainly because we hadn't yet learned to communicate. Once we figured that out, things seemed to flow a little easier. We still hit an occasional bump, but we talked them through and got through them together. We hadn't quite reached the level of those couples I envied, but we were getting there.

Then we hit some major roadblocks. My sister and her kids moved in with us. Steve felt that it was too hard to maintain things with others in the house so he took DD off the table until they were gone. I didn't agree with that decision, but I accepted it. About the time they finally moved out, I found out I was pregnant so he was leery of bringing it back right then.

Then everything happened last year and Steve was so afraid of hurting me or making things worse that he would barely touch me. It drove me crazy. It felt like my life was spinning out of control and I craved the structure of DD. I also wanted to feel normal again and it's hard to do that when everyone treats you like you're made of glass.

Over the last few months, we've started to bring DD back. In some ways, it's like we're starting over from the very beginning. We have an advantage this time around because now we know how to communicate, but we're still stumbling a bit while we find our footing.

That is why I've decided to keep this blog going. While I admire those couples who seem to have it figured out, I suspect Steve and I aren't the only ones still stumbling around. I want those couples to see that they're not the only ones. I don't want them to give up hope because they haven't reached their goal in the time frame they envisioned.

I want newbies to see that it's okay if you don't get it right away or you have setbacks that lead to a do-over. I want them to realize that it's a journey and that any movement, even backtracking to figure out where you went wrong, is still progress.

I want the couples considering DD to see that it's not a magic pill that fixes everything as soon as you decide to incorporate it into your relationship. I want them to see that you have to be willing to commit and work hard together to make it work.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear from you and wish you all the best for your future way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy you decided to keep the blog up and continue blogging, Dana...I do believe you have a lot of hard earned wisdom to share with all of us...not just newbies.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, I'm so happy you are keeping your blog open. I don't think anyone is perfect in their DD relationship, we all have our ups and downs. Some days things run smoothly others it feels like its taking one step forward two steps back. So stay positive to yourself and do what works for you and Steve. We all do it in our own special way.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana, I'm so glad you are keeping the blog, you have a lot to offer, and not just to those new to DD. Ttwd does seem to ebb and flow, life has a tendency to take over. Glad you two are finding your way back. Take things slowly and let it evolve.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice Dana.
    Glad you seem to be moving forward in love and life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it helps all of us to see that we all struggle at times...there are ebbs and flows to all parts of life. hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dana, it is lovely to hear from you. I don't believe anyone who seems to have got ti sorted. You plod on, and keep blogging too. I often think of you and it is so nic eto know you are getting back to ttwd.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dana! Willie sent me over to read this post and I'm very glad she did. It was certainly something I needed to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing. We are moving forward like inch worms and then we move back. It is so helpful to know this is not necessarily a bad thing nor are we alone.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think, but please be polite.